What A Hero Is To Me | Teen Ink

What A Hero Is To Me

December 16, 2015
By steffyj123 BRONZE, Fountain Hills, Arizona
steffyj123 BRONZE, Fountain Hills, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“ A true a hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart. “ ( Hercules ) What this quote means to me is that a hero isn’t measured by how strong or how big their muscles are. A hero is someone who has a heart and will risk their life for anyone. My definition of heroism is someone like an average person who puts others lives before their own.

Heroes in the real world are people who walk old ladies cross the street, help neighbors with groceries, and run into burning buildings for children. They have many characteristics like bravery, courage, and heart. “ All the best heroes are ordinary people who make themselves extraordinary.”  ( Gerad ) What I think this quote means is that a hero is ordinary until they help another ordinary person and become extraordinary. “Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.” ( Abraham Lincoln ) Abraham Lincoln was and still is a hero to many people because he was able to preserve the union and abolish slavery. He was just like anyone else in the world but he had the courage to speak up.

When I was younger I always thought of Superman, the Green Lantern, and Spiderman were the only heroes. They are heroes in TV and Comics but in reality no one can fly, shoot lasers out of their eyes, or make web come out of their hand. I would think anyone of these superheroes would save me if i was ever in trouble, but that was just a normal kid thinking about the inevitable. As I got older, real people were my heroes. My new heroes are Ronda Rousey and Helen Maroulis.

A hero can be someone who inspires people to not give up on something and will stand up for other people. Ronda Rousey is a hero to me. She inspires me to not give up, to train harder, faster, and stronger everyday. She is UFC’s first woman fighter and bantamweight champion. More heroes are the three men who took down the gunman on a train from Amsterdam to Paris on August 22, 2015. These heroes risked their lives for everyone on the train, even people they didn’t know. One of them, Spencer Stone got shot by the gunman and thankfully is expected to make a full recovery. Both of these people are inspirational to many people.

An anti-hero is someone who is a bystander or a bully, a real hero would do something about it. An example of an anti-hero is Regina George in the series “Once Upon A Time”. She is the Evil Queen and she tries to make everyone feel bad about themselves while she is still trying to fill the hole in her heart, but making people hurt will not work. “ I steal from the rich to give to myself “ ( Robert Thier ) This Quote is the total opposite of Robin Hood. Robin Hood would steal from the rich and give to the poor. This guy would take everything and never give anything and is very greedy. He is not anything like a hero.

Heroes can be anyone male or female, black or white, strong or weak but a hero will always have courage. “ A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. “ ( Dictionary ) That is the definition of a hero in the dictionary, it says that only men are heroes but actually anyone can be a hero. A woman or even an animal could be hero. After all, a dog could save your life from a burning building. So in conclusion, my definition of a hero is that anyone anywhere could be a hero. The one thing that every hero has is the bravery and heart of a lion.


The author's comments:

This is an essay I wrote for my language arts class. This essay is about what heroes are like in the real world and in fiction. There is also anti heroes like bullies.