The nine nanas | Teen Ink

The nine nanas

November 13, 2015
By Anonymous

In West Tennessee, a group of nine women were playing cards. Even though they were not related, they might as well have been sisters. They were talking about how the people who took care of them would always help others, so they decided to help people too. The women, lead by Mrs. Pearl, decided to call themselves the “Nine Nanas”.

The small group started off with gaining money by putting aside a smidgen of their own laundry money every month. Sometimes, they would eavesdrop to figure out if someone needed help, and they would pay someone’s utility bill without that person knowing who did it. Their main job, however, was to anonymously give cakes to people who were less fortunate.

The women would make their cakes early in the morning so that their husbands wouldn’t find out. No one knew what they were doing until one of the husbands noticed extra miles on the car and withdrawals from the bank.  The women had to tell their husbands - and they agreed to help! They also decided to tell their children, who suggested that they sell the cakes online, so the happiness would spread even more. This way, they could make someone on the other side of the world smile. They started cooking in one of their children’s restaurants so they could make their cakes more efficiently.

Because of the success of their cakes online, the Nine Nanas have been able to donate thousands of dollars to charities and people in need. They also started doing a “happiness happens” month where they reward people around the country for helping in their community - just another one of the many ways the Nine Nanas continue to spread happiness throughout the entire population.

This is why I have decided that the leader of the group, Mrs. Pearl, is a great person who helps to brings happiness and joy to the rest of the world. By encouraging herself and others around her to do great things, she has made an impact on many lives.


The author's comments:

My human interest story for ELA.