Mahatama Gandhi: An Angel | Teen Ink

Mahatama Gandhi: An Angel

It is 1948 and Mahatama Gandhi has been assassinated. However, nothing can wipe his legacy. He had a humble background as the son of merchants in Porbandar, India, but rose to the attention of the world by the end of his life. As Albert Einstein said, “Generations to come will scarcely believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth.”

My family lives in India and has been personally affected by Gandhi. In fact my grandfather was so affected by Gandhi that he campaigned during Gandhi’s “Quit India Movement” and was jailed several times, once when he was around my age.

What made Gandhi such a memorable leader was the scale of his sacrifices, such as walking 240 miles to the shores of East India to protest the Salt Tax and fasting for three weeks in his 60s to protest the treatment of the lowest caste in India, who were referred to as the Untouchables.  Gandhi’s determination and endurance cannot be questioned.

Near the end of his life Gandhi launched the “Quit India” movement, where India refused to aid the British during World War II. This got Gandhi and many other Indians jailed, including my Grandfather and Great-Grandfather.  However, after many years India won independence on August 15, 1947.

However, Hindus and Muslims were rioting in India, and in order to achieve peace, Gandhi organized India by splitting it into India and Pakistan. Sadly, Gandhi was assassinated by a Hindu extremist who resented Gandhi’s tolerance of other creeds and religions. The whole world mourned Gandhi’s death, but his legacy lives on and his teachings inspired Martin Luther King and others who want change without violence.

This piece serves as a reminder that violence is never necessary to cause change.