Teen compensates for father's crime | Teen Ink

Teen compensates for father's crime

By 3.14159265359 BRONZE, Keller, Texas
3.14159265359 BRONZE, Keller, Texas

On what we thought was a usual calm weekend in Oklahoma city, Oklahoma, led great loss. During a fresh, breezy weekend, grieving elderly woman Tona Herndon was visiting her husband, who recently passed away.  “I didn’t really know anything was going wrong until I was halfway in the car.” Says Herndon. She got robbed by a thug who goes by the name of Shane Lunsford.The thief got away with her handbag, and roughly $700. News spread quickly, and his mugshot was shown on TV. “At first glance, did you recognize who that man was?”  “Yeah, in detail, that’s my dad.” Says 15 year old Christian Lunsford, who claims his dad has been in and out ofjail throughout Christian’s childhood. “Recently, he gave me about $250 for my band trip, and I realized that was around the time of the crime.”  Says Christian.               

A few weeks later, Christian requested a meeting with Herndon in the parking lot. “I decided to apologize, because if I didn’t, who would?” Christian wasn’t done there.  “I gave her the $250, because it wasn’t my money.” says Christian. Herndon says, “I accepted the money, and it was mine to do with as I pleased,  but I gave it right back”. “She wanted me to go on my band trip.” says Christian. “You can choose who you want to be, even if your parents raise you. You don’t have to be like them.”