American Flag | Teen Ink

American Flag

November 6, 2015
By BigU22 SILVER, Watertown, Wisconsin
BigU22 SILVER, Watertown, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Seeing our flag in the wind mesmerizes me. Watching the stripes in sync, with the stars flowing right behind. I see our flag everywhere. School, Government Buildings and Professional Sporting Events, you’re never without the American Flag. Whenever I see the flag, it makes me wonder, why do we have this everywhere? Do other countries have flags all over like we do? Lots of questions yet to be answered. I believe our flag is a very emotional and powerful symbol. Whenever a soldier or member of law enforcement dies, their casket gets wrapped in a flag before they’re buried. It delivers a very positive, but also sorrowful message.
I’m the step-son of a United States Army Veteran, our flag has always been on our house outside. Stationed in Bosnia from 1996-1997, he got to use and do maintenance on a lot of different things. He got to carry a M16 Rifle with M302 grenade launchers mounted on them, and they were fully loaded with live ammunition. They had to patrol the perimeter of the camps they were on, and patrolled certain sectors in Bosnia to quelch the fighting. He had to interact with the Bosnians, and made arrests if need be. He was shot at, and caught in the crossfire of the gas chemicals they used against each other.
Saying the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning before school, hearing the National Anthem before sporting events, it reminds me why I am proud to be an American.