The Flag Means... | Teen Ink

The Flag Means...

November 6, 2015
By 6kiepert GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
6kiepert GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Another dreadful day of school--homework, teachers, and bullies. Ben looks to the impressive American flag, finding his only escape.  He comes home to a loud, ferocious mother, to find out he will not have the stars and stripes sewn on his sleeve while defending our country. He hit rock bottom, thinking his life was a sad story coming to an end. Despite the strenuous situations thrown his way, he persevered, just as America does.
Similar to the history of the U.S. flag, his state of mind was tested hundreds of times to reach harmony and happiness.  He developed strength to overcome the challenges that met him each day--as America has for the past 239 years. 
So when seeing the American flag, Ben is the first to come to mind. October 24, 1929. The most devastating stock market crash in history. The American people thought it was the end. Nevertheless, banks started to open again, attempting to better the nation. Thousands of people said they would rather keep their money under their mattress the store it in the banks. People slowly began to keep their money in banks, their trust issues dissolving. Just like those thousands of people, Ben developed a strong sense of distrust stemming from struggles he faced, such as bullying.   
  June 10, 2015. A day with no significance to you, but to me, it is a day that will forever be entrenched in my head. This is the day where Ben was opening up. He revealed his strength to me. He described all the negativity in his life and how he didn’t let it him bring him down. It wasn’t easy for him, but he pushed through.
Today, the American flag is more than a mere piece of colored cloth waving in the wind. It represents the strength our nation acquired, as well as our nation’s people.
 


The author's comments:

The prompt for this piece was "What does the American flag mean to you?"