Definition: Hero | Teen Ink

Definition: Hero

November 5, 2015
By Tamar-Stern BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Tamar-Stern BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As Bob Riley once said, “Hard times don't create heroes. It is during the hard times when the 'hero' within us is revealed.” Heroism is not a trait, but a quality that is exposed during the hardest of times. When someone is brave, can persevere through challenges, and transcend the average level of citizenship, they can be bestowed with the title of hero.  In life, literature, the past, and the present, there are many examples of heroes.  Heroism is when someone stands taller than their opponent, never cowers from a daunting task, and puts others first and their own safety second.
    Heroes have been present throughout history, and all share certain qualities. Those who are revolutionary, but humble when praised, deserve to be called a hero. They do everything in their power to change the world, but don't boast their achievements and make others feel unnecessary. For example, E.R. doctors have one of the hardest and most stressful jobs on the planet. They have to recover people who are in fatal conditions, with no prior preparation for the specific problem.  E.R. doctors save lives daily, but don't go around flaunting their heroic actions expecting plaudit. They exceed the normal level of heroism in everyday life, and should unquestionably be called heroes.
    With all the tragedies in our world, heroes have to rise up and claim their place in life. One person who recently got recognized as a hero is Chris Mintz, a Umpqua Community College student, who rose up in a time of commotion. Chris confronted an unknown gunman at a classroom door during a mass shooting, not afraid of what would happen to him, but afraid of what would happen to the students inside of the class. A hero doesn't think of himself first, and neither did Chris. Chris’s aunt, Wanda Mintz, said, “That’s just how he is. If he sees someone who needs help, he just helps.” A hero doesn't behave flamboyantly, but instead perform modestly with the truest of intentions. He displayed acts of heroism when he put the other students’ lives before his, and didn’t recoil when he was faced with an extremely intense threat.
    When some think of a hero, they think of many desirable qualities, such as being brave and courageous. They certainly don't think of a hero being shy, cowardly, or awkward. Heroes are portrayed as handsome, burly men who are outgoing. The majority of people do not realize, that’s not always the case.  Like a famous character, Hermione Granger, has shown, heroes can be female, small, and can rely on their intelligence, not their strength. They don't put other aspects of their life before being a hero. As Hermione said, “Books! And cleverness! There are more important things… friendship and bravery.” Being the classic hero that she is, Hermione put bravery before the things she loved most, like her academics. Many characters in literature have taught that when someone is a hero, they don't think about themselves, but think about the good that they are doing for their world. Heroes in the world are like the glue that holds it together.
    Heroism isn't all about giving back to others, or doing something spectacular . Many people give back, but they aren’t considered as heroes. Someone who donates to a research fund, but isn't the researcher should not be pegged as a hero. They aren't the one who found a cure, or developed a new vaccine, so they should not be called a hero. Some people say that parents are heroes, but there are many arguments that can be made to refute that. If parents were heroes, then most of the world’s population would be heroes. Parenting is an everyday task, like getting out of bed, and there is nothing sophisticated about being a parent. A hero is someone who takes action and revolutionizes everyday life. Someone who has proved herself to be a hero is Rosa Parks. She performed the way a hero would when she refused to stand up on the bus. Her tale is one that is very commonly known, and people of all races look up to her.
    As time goes on, heroes will always be an important part of society. Heroes like Chris Mintz aren't the result of a hard time, but during the hard time the hero within is revealed. A hero is the highest of status, because the title shows that they've done something heroic, which most people strive to do, but in the end they don't accomplish that. In society new heroes in life, literature, the past, and the present, are revealed when the rest of us need them the most. Without the simple, but thought-provoking actions of our every-day heroes, the rest of us wouldn't have anyone to strive to be.