Finding Your Role Model | Teen Ink

Finding Your Role Model

By Angelli.M BRONZE, Gardena, California
Angelli.M BRONZE, Gardena, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Have you ever had that one person in your life, who you thought was just another passerbyer but instead became a role model who gave you a new perspective on life? A person who pushed you passed your limits but also encouraged you to do your best. A person who critiqued your work but didn’t criticize your decisions. A person who you thought was just one of those people who you would meet and forget, but instead became an inspiration that pushes you when you want to give up. This person could be someone who is still part of your life or it could be someone you see once in a blue moon. This person could be a friend, a teacher, a relative or a complete stranger, but something about them just connected with you. Some of us have found this person and some of us haven’t. I believe we all have a person who will guide us into the direction we were meant to go, whether they are intentionally aware of it or not.
  I found my person in middle school, a crucial time in anyone’s life I’d like to think. A time full of awkwardness and wonder and filled with ton of questions about who you are. Middle school is the epitome of awkward phases. For instance, you might recall a majority of your classmates having braces or what kids nowadays call the #braceface. You might also remember the excessive imperfections of almost everyone's complextion, the weird haircuts and don’t even get me started on the insanely weird trends that were considered “cool”. Yes ladies and gentlemen, that is middle school. Anyway, my person was not a peer but a teacher. She was my English teacher. Now I was a student who always enjoyed good literature. I loved books, stories and just any form of literature. It amazed me how these words from pieces of paper could just create the most amazing visions in your mind. It was astonishing to me that someone with such a vivid imagination could translate their visions into words and share it with their readers. In this English class I felt that I got to be one of those people. Granted I wasn’t as good as one of the more accomplished writers but I had the best time writing and learning.
  I’d like to think of this English teacher as not just a teacher but more of a mentor. Paula Marantz Cohen once wrote that there is a very subtle but important difference between a teacher and a mentor. She wrote that “a teacher has greater knowledge than a student and a mentor has a greater perspective.” I saw this particular English teacher as someone who had such a vast knowledge and perspective on life. I saw how she really encouraged her students to think and write outside of the box. The assignments that we were given were pretty complex but there was always room for creativity. I felt that there was always something extra that wasn’t necessarily in the directions but it was implied and it was up to the students to interpret it the way that they saw it. This was one of my favorite parts of her class because she was able to guide me in a way that didn’t change my voice but she helped me make my voice and opinions so much stronger.  This English teacher also helped me boost my confidence in so many ways. I don’t think she realizes that she did that, but every time I would see her she just looked so confident. The way that she carried herself was so refreshing because she always looked as if she was ready to take on the world.  Being in middle school where no student is clearly aware of who they are and surrounded by adults who were very intimidating, and being able to see this teacher every day in class encouraged me to sit up a little straighter and keep my chin up even though I might have had a problem. She unintentionally showed me how to put my best foot forward even in the toughest of times. I look up to this person so much and I still do. There is not enough ways for me to express my gratitude and appreciation for this teacher that I consider a great mentor. She is definitely someone who will stick with me forever. I will never forget how she helped me create my voice and helped me become less afraid of conquering the world.
  I know everyone has a person who inspires them the way that my middle school English teacher inspired me. You might not find him/her right away but there is going to be someone out there who will change and enhance your views on life or views on anything in general. Sometimes that person could be right in front of us and we don’t even realize it. So my advice to you is just to keep your eyes peeled, ears listening and keep your mind open. You never know, your role model could be the next person you meet and in return you could be someone else’s role model.

This piece was inspired by one of my all time favorite teachers. She has encouraged me and many other students to become the best version of themselves.