John Lennon, Musician/Antiwar Activist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The evening of December 8, 1980, John Lennon, beloved singer, songwriter, and political activist, was shot and killed in front of his apartment building in New York City. He was only 40. Lennon is a hero to me. Even though he was not alive during my generation, his influence lives on through his music and messages of peace.

John Lennon was born in England on October 9, 1940, during World War II. After his father left, his mother gave him to his aunt and uncle. In school, he was miserable. He was extremely intelligent but hated the conformity and his teachers. Later on, Lennon attended the Liverpool College of Art but dropped out for the same reasons. In art school, he met Cynthia Powell, who became his wife, and they had a son, Julian. It was during this time that Lennon devoted his life to music after hearing American rock ’n’ roll greats Elvis and Buddy Holly. He started a band with Paul McCartney and George Harrison called the Quarrymen, which later became The Beatles.

During the early years, the band played small gigs in bars and clubs. It was on a trip to Hamburg, Germany, that they started gaining fame. They replaced their original drummer with Richard Starkey, a.k.a. Ringo Starr, and released their first album, “Please, Please Me,” in 1963. Beatlemania had begun.

The band began touring England and America, and was constantly pursued by fans. Over the next seven years, The Beatles would release 13 albums. Lennon and McCartney’s songwriting partnership became legendary. During the later years, Lennon increasingly used psychedelic drugs and was in and out of rehab. He also met the love of his life, Yoko Ono, and Cynthia divorced him. By this time the band was falling apart and Lennon and McCartney were disagreeing about everything.

By 1970, The Beatles were finished and Lennon moved to New York. In 1971, he released the solo album “Imagine” to much acclaim. The next year brought the extremely political album “Sometime in New York City,” which addresses racial issues and denounces chauvinism. Lennon by now was steeped in left-wing politics, going as far as giving donations to Trotskyist parties.

Lennon transformed into an antiwar activist during the Vietnam War with the song “Give Peace a Chance.” His inspiration came from Bob Dylan, another singer and war protester. In 1972, Lennon toured the U.S. to influence youth to vote against the war, against Richard Nixon. The Nixon Administration found out and tried to deport him.

Other examples of his antiwar efforts were the “bed-ins for peace,” where Lennon and Ono would stay in bed shrouded in white promoting peace with signs reading “Bed Peace” and “Hair Peace.” Lennon and Ono also wore white bags over their bodies, satirizing prejudice and stereotypes. They funded billboards all over America denouncing war.

In 1975, Lennon’s second son, Sean, was born.

On December 8, 1980, Mark David Chapman stood in the shadows near
the entrance to Lennon’s apartment building. Lennon and Ono were returning from a recording session, and as they approached the gate, Chapman shot him four times in the chest. The police arrested Chapman, who did not resist, and rushed Lennon to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. This news shocked the world. Thousands of fans camped outside his building and paid tribute by playing his songs.

John Lennon is my hero for many reasons. He took action against war and racism, and denounced oppression and violence. He fought for many things I believe in. I am also a huge fan of his music. His lyrics are meaningful and heartfelt, not shallow and repetitive like much of today’s music. He wrote music for the world, not for money. John Lennon has inspired me to speak up for what I believe in. He is also an artistic inspiration. If he were still alive, I think the world would be a better place.

CaitlinB said...
AMAZING ARTICLE!!!  

ToranThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:04 am:

I think that's sooo awesome that he's your hero!

GeorgeG said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:42 pm:
I like the article, im not a big fan of the beatles or that kinda of genre otherwise its great

------guess said...
Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:18 am:
what a hippie

AssertivePeace replied...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm :
Way to label man. Just because someone says that war is bad and John Lennon is a great person (which are both true) it doesn't make them a hippie, and hippies aren't bad anyways

GothChik95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I myself am a huge Beatles fan and a huge John Lennon fan. And like you, they were before my generation which is a huge shame. I love that there are people out there who still appreciate the soul of music, thank you for writing this. It was a wonderful piece.

northursday said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:45 am:
I love John Lennon. This article is good, I suppose. It's very straightforward.

choose1124157 said...
well writion good job

bladeboy12 replied...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:26 am :
i like to play video games on my ps3 called balck ops

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing, I too am a fan of John Lennon and his music.

Wildflower30 said...
May 27, 2011 at 3:22 am:
Very well-written!
It's a crazy fact, that Chapman killed Lennon because he, too, was a die-hard fan (who woudn't be?) and he wanted his name and Lennon's to appear in the same sentence, for once!
Anyway...
John Lennon is my hero, too. The world might seem pretty oppressive to whimsical minds, who give emotion more importance. Many great people had experienced rehab. It's sad to admit that such a pure-hearted man was destroyed by reality.
"Nowhere Man", he is. A movie was rel... (more »)

Odessa_Sterling00This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm:
I wish I could have met him.

DifferentTeen said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm:

The Beatles are my favorite band. Nice article. :D

mysteries58 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 11:48 am:
This was beautiful, and so refreshing to see amidst the type of acclaim usually given to those who had far less talent and impact than Lennon. He is one of my most treasured heroes as well, and you have provided the magazine with a very well-written piece on his life. Thumbs up!

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this. I love The Beatles (as I'm sure you can tell), and I love John Lennon. He was a great man, and it seems that the best people are the ones who suffer for the rest of the world. It's really sad, actually.

HippieNamedAnna replied...
Nov. 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm :
John Lennon and The Beatles are my heros. They inspired me so much. I have writen countless poems that were inspired by their songs. The Beatles are my favorite band in the world, and no one can replace them. They have been since 1st grade. Lennon is my life inspiration. This is really good.

reissumies replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 9:51 am :

I understand your choice of a hero. John Lennon was once hero material for me as well.  I have been a life long Beatles fan, and I also very much enjoy the Beatles solo material.  The Beatles broke ground with every chord. 

But now as I am older, I see Lennon more clearly.  He was an exceedingly vain and rude person. He spoke and campaigned for peace, but the actions in his own life were far from peaceful. I cannot, e.g., respect a man who leaves his wife and child ... (more »)

HippieNamedAnna replied...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm :
Wow. You type a lot. But I did a bunch of research and found that he had more good then bad in him and I am able to see past his bad qualities.

songofheaven said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 12:10 am:
I think John Lennon had an amazing mind. He had so many secret dreams he kept hidden to everyone, but the people who listened to his music carefully. I feel bad for him and his childhood. Not only that, but the way he had to die, and all because he wanted peace. The world is so messed up.

LuckyDucky said...
May 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm:
I looooovvvveee John Lennon!!  I had a teacher who played his music everyday when we would walk into class.  His music is beautiful and I love it!  I wish there could be an artist like him today.