My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

In the past, I always thought that a hero was some superstar who made a lot of money or someone who was famous for doing something. That was until the cold and snowy day of January 13, 2008, when I learned what a real hero is. On this date in history, Wendy Douglas, who I am exceptionally close to, got into a horrendous car accident.
Wendy D. is a R.N. at Bronson Methodist Hospital, and it just so happens that she was on her way to work when the accident occurred. She was ascending a hill on the highway when a car approaching in the other direction hit a patch of ice and veered right in front of her. She slammed into the side of the car, causing two fatalities in the other vehicle.
Wendy was rushed to the E.R. at Bronson. They immediately found that she had internal bleeding from her spleen, which was soon removed. She also had two collapsed lungs, a broken ankle, and two broken ribs. They put her ankle in a cast and put her on a breathing tube. The doctors did not know if she would live or not.
Exactly one week later, Wendy was cleared from the hospital and sent home in a wheel chair. The doctors said that everything that could’ve gone right did. Her ribs healed, her lungs healed, and they were able to stop the internal bleeding quickly enough. It was clear to her friends and family that God had been in it all.
On that cold, snowy morning of January 13, 2008, when Wendy expected to be helping patients, she became the patient instead. Even though she was extremely close to dying, she fought as hard as she could to stay alive for her friends and family.
Now I know the real meaning of a hero. It is someone who has a deep effect on your life. Looking back on it now, I realize that if she wouldn’t have recovered, my life would never be the same. And that is why she is my Michigan Hero. And now, more than ever, I can say I am proud to be her son.