The Fearless One | Teen Ink

The Fearless One

I've always read about fearsome monsters in different folk tales. What are monsters? The image formed in your mind is probably something with green skin, gleaming eyes and sharp fangs. But you will be surrprised when I tell you that there are monsters in this world. I know - sounds strange right? Even I found it strange at first. I discovered that these creatures wore the garb of humans - they could look like anything - from Simple Homemaker to Cool Guy. In most of the cases, they are basically men. They abuse, rape and ostracize women. In 2013, an incident shook my nation. An incident so horrible, so ghastly - well, it made the hair on my arms stand at pore. Six of such monsters had abused a young woman horribly on an isolated bus. I'll not go into the details as they are too gory. The woman - a young 23 yr old was just returning home with her fiancee. But the young woman wanted to live life - even after she was hospitalized after suffering fatal, gruesome injuries. The whole nation seemed to be on fire. Her indomitable spirit and her will to live inspired the nation - we rose as one and raised our voice against the crime in such a way that we couldn't be ignored. The young woman got a new name - Nirbhaya or the Fearless One. That title befits her as she is a true hero and she was fearless. She succumbed to the grave wounds and found everlasting peace. Yet she left us with a huge question. Are we so incapable that we can't protect our own women? If such monsters exist, why can't we stop them? Those questions have settled as deep injuries to our resolve. Even if it does get healed in the future - I know that itshall leave a deep mark.

This is an honest piece about my feelings...........whatever I wanted to say is clear within it...........