My Life Preserver | Teen Ink

My Life Preserver

By torisutan BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
torisutan BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

“Live each day like it is your last” is a saying that my dad tells me to always remember. I always try to remember this quote whenever I am making decisions either at home or at school, because it is undeniably true. You can choose whether or not to make your day the best it can be, and that is why you have to make your decisions wisely. You never know which day could be your last, and that is why you have to live each day the fullest. Whenever I get in a fight with my brothers or I am in a bad mood, my dad makes the situation better by trying to find an activity that we can all enjoy and have a good time. My dad is my floatation device that will always keep me afloat during hard times. I am still amazed of how wise, admirable and considerate my father is and I hope to have these same qualities one day.

There are days that I just feel gloomy and I don’t feel like doing anything besides resting in bed.

“I’m bored.”
“Well what would you like to do?”
“I don’t know.”
“Well you could use your imagination and find some activities you would like to do. Try working on some of your drawings or you could start reading your new book.”

Even when I thought that there was nothing I could do to be in a good mood, my dad gives me suggestions and tries his best to cheer me up. My dad would take the time out of his day to help me fix my problems, whether it is helping me with my homework, giving me advice or teaching me life long lessons that I will use in the future. I remember when I was about six, my dad was working from home and he noticed that I was feeling blue, so he stopped his work on the computer, pulled out a board game and we played together. I can’t recall what the game was called, but there were small knights and castles that you would try to protect from the enemies troops. There are many times when I look up to my dad and I wish I could be just like him someday.

“What happened to your finger?”
“I donated blood at work today.”
“Why?”
“Because the blood goes to people who need it and it can save their lives.”
“Doesn’t that hurt though?”
“Yeah a little, but it is about what it is doing for others.” 

When my dad told me he donated his blood, at first I only thought about the pain, but not the fact that it is saving people’s lives. My dad is considerate and tries to help others as much as he can when they are in need. At his work, he is the person that everybody comes to when they need help in a project. My dad always says that he loves helping people out and he feels happy when people ask hm for help because he feels that he is a person that people would want to talk to and ask questions freely to. My dad’s generosity still impresses me to this day, and I hope I can be just like him.

My dad teaches me lessons that I will remember for the rest of my life. Whether it is to cherish the moments I have with my brothers or to think about every choice that you make each day. I consider my dad to be a wise person because he gives me advice when I am in need and he fixes most of problems that I have with his words. Whenever my brothers and I get in fights, my dad always reminds us that we should use this time to get along and be respectful to each other because one day, it will be too late and you can never get that time back.When I was younger and my dad told me this, I never knew what it meant, but now, I know that I should treasure this time with my brothers before it is gone.

My dad has had a huge impact on my life whether it is teaching me life lessons, or just taking the time out of his day to cheer me up. I have learned how to be a more generous and giving person because of my dad. Whenever I make decisions in the future whether it is when deciding which career I will be in, or thinking about what I can do for others, I will think back and remember the lessons that my dad taught me and use those as best as I can. That is why I will try my best to live each day like it is my last.

This piece is about my dad and how he has inspired me throughout my life to be a better person.