Family Hero | Teen Ink

Family Hero

By Kaitlyn.wood05 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Kaitlyn.wood05 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Families are like branches on a tree, we all grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one. Ever since I was little I’ve really only had a few people to look up to, one of them being my uncle. I look up to him because of the many memories we have made together and the memories he made alone.

The person I saw in my uncle was a great man with a lovely personality. He always put everyone first yet put himself first, which isn’t always bad. My extended family didn’t look up to him as much as I did, but they didn’t completely hate him either. They got into fights that he always got out of, like about children or money. He was successful in his job, working as basically the boss of a meat factory.

My uncle had two of his own kids, and he treated me as his own daughter when we were together. He had a monster poster at his job and when we went to visit him he gave it to me as a ‘souvenir’ of him. My mom sisters and I went with my uncle to the local fair and I stayed with him the whole time, we played the coin dozer game where you slide the coins down a metal shoot and try to get it in the right place to get the prize to fall. At the end of it all he could of kept the prize for himself but ended up giving it to me. Just because that was the type of man he was.

I feel that my uncle would be proud of the person that I’ve become, because with his help I have learned that you must be nice to everyone even if you don’t particularly like them, be the bigger person. He has also taught me that not everyone is going through the same thing so stay open minded toward what everyone says and how they act in situations. I have learned the many tricks and jokes that he has told over the past several years.

But most of all I look up to my uncle because he never gave up and stuck to something until it was completely finished and that even though nobody’s perfect you should always be confident in the good choices you make and if people make fun of you, let them if you feel it was the right thing to do. Don’t let others tell you how to dress, talk, or act because you are your person and if you’re ok with that others should be too.