American Sniper | Teen Ink

American Sniper

January 23, 2015
By MrRMAN117 BRONZE, Smithtown, New York
MrRMAN117 BRONZE, Smithtown, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do or do not, there is no try.


One  hundred and sixty confirmed kills out of two hundred and fifty probable kills, Chris Kyle was the deadliest sniper in U.S. military history. Born in texas, Kyle grew up wanting to be a rancher, but eventually joined the U.S. military. He was declined by the marines due to injuries to his arm, but then enlisted with the Basic Underwater Demolition SEAL School and became a Navy Seal. He then went on to serve in the Iraq war after the horrible events that occurred on September 11th. Serving four tours, Chris Kyle left his military life behind in 2009 and went onto helping military and local enforcement with tactical training.  Chris Kyle sadly died on February 2nd, 2013. While trying to help a marine suffering from PTSD, he was shot and killed at a shooting range by the very marine he was trying to help.

Chris Kyle suffered from major PTSD when he returned from his duty in Iraq, after seeing the horrors of war he talked about in his book. after having to kill so many people, war can cause a nasty effect on someone. In his book American Sniper he talks about how he shot women and children, and the horrors he was, such as firefights with teen boys, and mothers sending their children out to blow up marines. It’s very sickening to think about, but it was the harsh reality of what our enemies do, they’re mindset is much different than our, they’re tactics might be savage, but in their eyes seem right and just. It was a different war in every way possible, against an enemy we don’t understand.

Chris Kyle talks about what it’s like being a sniper, and how much patience and carefulness goes into it. He talks about how he’s laid in the same position for hours upon hours waiting for a target to leave a building. He also talks about the harsh weather and how the beading heat can make a man go insane. Sand storms are also an issue in the east, and at times Kyle would have to camp out in enemy territory while one is happening. The environmental hardships that not only Chris Kyle, but all troops had to go against were some of the most dangerous since our time in Vietnam.

The United States military is the greatest military in the world, and Chris Kyle was a proud and honorable NAVY Seal. His actions and his commitment are why we are still the best to this day, every day men like him strive to protect us and keep our enemies off our shores. I have the upmost respect for our military, and am even considering to enlist with the marines, if my film career doesn’t work out. There is something about our military that’s different than others. While other countries fight for land or for there God, we fight for the people at home, our families, friends, and other loved ones. Chris Kyle fought for just that, and every soldier fights for that.