Unsung Hero: A Mother's Unconditional Love | Teen Ink

Unsung Hero: A Mother's Unconditional Love

January 21, 2015
By yessicamichele BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
yessicamichele BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations." - John Green


They say a mother's love is unconditional, but they never mentioned the events that would test a mother's love. My mother had made the courageous act of leaving her small town home in Mexico to come to the United States and raise her children. She knew in her heart that she wanted nothing but the best for her children, like any other mother she would go through any obstacle to accomplish her goal. But raising me was anything but easy, from birth I was the never ending labyrinth. Complications during my birth brought out the inner warrior in my mother. She would take turns with my family and uneasily watch her newborn child be cared for in intensive care. A few weeks later, she helped me win the battle and got to take me home, although we were not aware there was a full on war heading our way. Then came the complex teen years. When I was thirteen years old I came crying into my mother's arms after a long day at school. I spilled out every bottled up emotion in me and told my mother about the unbearable bullying I was facing. My mother held me as my tears dried up and stressed for days on how she was going to fix the issue. My parents decided on making me switch schools, where they would on making me switch schools, wheree they would have to drive an extra half hour just too simply see me happy again. My mother had taught me from that day on to accept myself for who I am and that is one lesson I will never forget. I could see the stress I caused my mother by the gray hair that stood out in her honey brown hair. Yet this was not the end of the rough patch. When I was fifteen, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, a condition that made me tired and depressed all the time as a side effect. My mother had to drive me on the other side of our city just to see a specialist, who would put me on medication. For a little over a year, my mother dealt with my depression and condition to the point where I will be forever grateful I had someone. My mother had taught me another lesson at this time, to simply never lose hope. Theree was a rare chance that I would be lucky enough for my condition to go away with the help of medication. In the winter of 2014, our prayers got answered and my condition went away, like a continous rainstorm that left a rainbow imprint. Most people woild say the hero is the person who goes through all the hardships head on, but thats not the case here. The hero is the one who lifted me with all the hard falls and who loved me unconditionally to do so, my mother, my unsung hero.


The author's comments:

The events that took part of my life were some of the most difficult things I've had to deal with so far. But I could never had gone through it all without my mom. I hope everyone tells their hero they appreciate them, if it's your mom or anybody else, let them know how much you appreciate them.