"A Closer Look" | Teen Ink

"A Closer Look"

By Dr.JenryMortinez BRONZE, Chelsea, Michigan
Dr.JenryMortinez BRONZE, Chelsea, Michigan

Love is not measured by the happiness one feels in another's presence, but by their sadness in their absence.

Here is a question: What is a hero? Well, heroes take many forms. The smiling mailman across the street, the goofy uncle who laughs a little to much, or even the cranky DMV lady you've never liked. Quite simply, anyone can be a hero, but where to find that hero is a different story.

I found my hero in the summer of 2013 in a bowling alley, wouldn't you believe it. From the day I met her, I saw something special, and I turned out to be correct in thinking so. Who is she, you may ask? At the time, just another one of my Dad's new girlfriends, but little did I know she would become my best-friend and step-mom, Mrs. Christina Maguire.

Just to clarify, 50% of all marriages end in divorce, so I can't complain that I'm the "only one who's been through divorce". But, I will say it was no stroll through the park. It took its toll on my family. There was lots of yelling and fighting in the household, and my parents had had enough. And so, after everything was said and done, my dad soon after started dating some people, and some were very nice, some I didn't even get to meet, but none were living up to my Dad's standards. Then, with some magic and a bit of luck, he found her. Blonde hair, stylish sunglasses, my dad was head over heels for her. But she wasn't just some "pretty face". A mother of four, a brilliant pianist, a Spanish and Art high school teacher, the list was literally endless! But her heroics could not be seen with human eyes, because she did something no superhero could ever do. She gave my family peace. No more sadness, no more yelling, and plenty of love. Which is why my Dad decided to ask for her hand in marriage. On New Years Eve, they were happily married and given a chance for a better life for each other and their children.

Unfortunately, her marriage was no more "perfect" than my Dad's, because she too had been involved in a particularly difficult divorce, that included some put downs and choice words. On top of that, she had been forced to sacrifice a lot of time with her children because of her ex-husbands views on parenting. But she did not take it all sitting down. Instead, she endured. She, to this day, continues to amaze everyone around her with wisdom, strength, and a positive attitude.

As well, she has raised four wonderful children with discipline, faith, and hope in every one of their hearts. They are my step-brothers and sisters Josh, Alyssa, Luke, and Kari, the coolest and silliest people I know.

To say, in a word, my life was in an emotional funk. But Christina has changed me and my family forever. So when you, the reader, ever wonder if you'll find your hero, you may not find them straight away. Just know, you might need to take a closer look.

Thank you Christina, may God bless your heart.

Christina is a very close person to me whom I love very much, and thank you so much, whoever is reading this, to take the time to read her story. Though I'm the one who wrote this, she is the one who deserves the credit.