Good and Bad Celebrity Influences | Teen Ink

Good and Bad Celebrity Influences

By Jason Ford BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
Jason Ford BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida

Have you ever done something because you saw a celebrity do it? Lets face it there are a lot of bad influences in todays day and age but not all of them are bad. With social media different things good or bad can become viral in a day, which means that way more people see what it is. Most of those people will be kids and teens who are strongly influenced by big names and celebrities because they want to be just like them. 

I am going to start by telling you some people that don’t have very good influences on other people. One of the most obvious is Miley Cyrus mainly because she attracted so much attention from kids when she was on Hannah Montana. After she finished the show she decided to start a solo singing career which at first was just a couple harmless songs but then she released a song called We Can’t Stop which included the use of alcohol and smoking. Later she started her world tour which also included the use of drugs on stage. Another bad influence on kids is a athlete by the name of Jameis Winston. Jameis Winston is an award winning quarterback for the Florida State Seminoles. At first he was a very good football player with no problems but then in the December of 2012 a woman accused of rape which led to many other things like stealing food from a Tallahassee supermarket and then another rape accusation. The reason he is a bad influence is because it was proven that he stole the food but he got away with it and that makes some people think that you can steal and easily get away with it which isn’t true. Kids and teens just need to watch out of who they look up to.

Even though there are many celebrities with bad influences there are some that set a good example for their fans. For example Lebron James who is a very popular athlete. Right now Lebron James plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers which is very close to his hometown of Akron.  Lebron is associated with many charities and different organizations. He is also involved with NBA cares which is where different NBA players go and give back to the community. Another superstar that sets good examples is Oprah Winfrey who is known worldwide. Oprah has donated millions of dollars to different charities including her own called the Oprah Winfrey foundation which helps young girls in South Africa. She also has something else called Oprah’s Angel Network which is a non-profit volunteer organization that inspires other to make a difference in other peoples lives.

What I am trying to say is that kids and teens need to be careful of who they look up to and try to be like because some are definitely better that others. Many kids choose to completely copy the person that they look up to so if they do something bad then it is more than likely the kid will do it.