A Hero's Acknowledgement | Teen Ink

A Hero's Acknowledgement

November 18, 2014
By Aubri BRONZE, Siren, Wisconsin
Aubri BRONZE, Siren, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I looked into the stands at my regional  volleyball championship game in northern Wisconsin I was astounded to see the multitude of elderly men and women wearing military identification, whether it be a simple baseball cap with the words “Veteran”  written on it, or a jacket inscribed with the letterings of “Veterans of Foreign Wars” or “American Legion Post.” It became evident to me that these individuals walk among us daily, without any acknowledgement of their sacrifices. Veterans are a subtle, yet crucial reminder of why I have the freedom to play volleyball now, and in the future without the feeling of endangerment. Thus, it is pivotal we take dedicated, committed time to reflect on and understand the important role our nations veterans play both in the history and the future of the United States.
Every spring for the last several years, my high school track team takes a break from the rigorous training to rake leaves for an elderly man named Wally Nelson, his wife, and their dog, Snoopy. At first glance, many think that he is just an ordinary man who retired in Siren, much like the rest of the town. However, contrary to popular beliefs and initial conclusions one may draw when meeting him, Wally Nelson’s story is anything but ordinary. At the age of seventeen, Nelson enlisted in the Navy. During his military career, he fought in World War II battles: Iwo Jima and Okinawa.  Mr. Nelson is very proud of his military connection and proud to have served his country. When asked, he is very eager to give a high school student an oral autobiography of his awe-inspiring military life. It is these stories that one can truly connect emotionally, on a  person-to-person level with a veteran like Wally. History books are wonderful at covering the basic facts of historical events. However, when a person is given the supreme opportunity to engage in dialogue with a veteran, a clearer picture is painted in their heads, of what a veteran would have underwent. Personal stories like Mr. Nelson’s will continue to endear future generations the honor of remembering how, and why, we are able participate in sports such as track, and will not be forgotten about.
Every year, my family and I, go on an extended camping trip to Sparta Wisconsin, where the Fort McCoy military base is located. Because the campground sits directly on the military base, I see first-hand the training challenges, opportunities soldiers may experience while preparing to go to war, and the struggles they undergo when returning from their deployment. The atmosphere is at times conflicting, however. Occasionally we are passed by complete convoys,  while artillery fire simultaneously rains over head. Seldom is there ever an uneventful moment, as helicopters soar over the tree tops while we complete our traditional family sand volleyball game. However, at 2300 Taps is played over the loudspeakers, and all becomes silent. As the powerful melody echoes throughout the base, our minds are quickly turned to our soldiers and our veterans. My attention is drawn to my two uncles and cousin who are standing at attention, facing the sound of the music. The expressions on their faces so stoic, almost surreal, like they are taking a mental trip back in time to some event that no one can understand but themselves.We quietly thank them by saying a silent prayer for all that they have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for this country. When the song ends, we quickly go about our business, that is, back to sitting around the fire and enjoying each others company.
I am very proud, and consider myself very fortunate coming from a long line of family and friends with strong military involvement. Many have made a career in the military, some are now retired, and some are on active duty. At some level, I feel a sense of indebtedness to these people as they serve as a constant, yet humbling reminder that their love for this country, for the freedoms that I enjoy every day, will be ever present in the eyes of America. That these men and women, who put their lives on the line, will not ever be forgotten.
In the words of philosopher George Santayana, “Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.” All I have to say, is, look around America, there are constant reminders of the sacrifices veterans have made to assure we remain safe and free all around us; walking, talking, and possibly even living next door to you. Most of the veterans I know don’t ask for much, and would rather just blend in, than call attention to themselves or to their accomplishments. However, this doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t go out of our way to thank them. Just a quick smile and a simple “thank you” is all it takes!  Don’t miss out on your opportunity to remember our veterans.