My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

By YouMeanLikeThis SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
YouMeanLikeThis SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Hero is a word that brings many of us joy to hear and makes us feel safe and protected. I always want to be a hero just like in the movies. I believed to be a hero you need to have superpowers and a cool outfit, but as I got older I learned the true meaning of a hero. A hero is a person who's able to change people and effect people in a positive way.

I hate him, but yet I love him. I try so hard to be better than him, but he always out shines me. He always had better grades, manners, and always had a positive attitude. “Come on! There's has to be something I'm better at than him!”  I had to prove to myself that I can be better than my brother.

I hated to ask my brother for help on my homework that I been struggling for hours on because he always replies with the same thing. “You’re having problems on that!? Really, that's child play.” At parties, he will always greet everyone and remember every guess names. I mean come on that's just doing to much, right? But his positive attitude was truly the one thing I hated. Always trying to make everyone feel good about themselves, but not to me.

He always made me feel less than everyone else. “Wow, can you get any dumber?” Was thing he said well he saw my report cards, which of course hurts to hear. My parents always bragged about my brother and how he'll be extremely successful in life. I don't really remember my parents talking about me as much as my brother.
“What the hell is it with you? Why are you so cold to me? Tell me! Why do you treat me like trash compare to everyone else?”  On day I finally had it with my brother always looking down at me, so I asked him why does he hate me? “Are you stupid or just blind?”  Was how my brother responded. I was shocked; I didn't know how to respond. “My job as your big brother is to be you're role model and to make you a better person! I want you to be better than me. So stop complaining and prove to me that you're no where near me, and show everyone you're above me! I made you feel dumb, so you try harder in class. I have manners, so you'll copy them.” I was so happy that I started to cry. “I’m always happy because I know one day you'll be a somebody, so little brother to prove to me you're better than me.”

I hate him, but yet I love him. Now I can clearly see all he did for me. I hear my mom bragging about me to her friends. I see myself having more manners than before. And now I'm always have a positive attitude because I know how my big brother really feels about me. Now if you were to ask me who is my hero, I can full heartily say it's my older brother.