A Hero | Teen Ink

A Hero

October 23, 2014
By dunles22 BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
dunles22 BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He looks up and out into the crowd of thousands of people, each face and each situation and each struggle different. They crave more of his words. The thick Washington DC august air weighing heavy on him and his dapper black suit. The crowd looks up at him with awe and he looks back with clear brown eyes. He takes  the time to take in his surroundings. Looking out beyond the weary faces of people awaiting some fine words, was the blue upper atmospheric sky. The monument stood giant and noble, as if almost honored to be where it was. The sloshing of people sticking their feet into the refreshing Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool went against the mumbling of the public lingering. The moment was frozen in time. He gathers his thoughts, he gulps and comes to the place in his mind that inspires him. He remembers the petrifying moments in history filled with hatred, brimming with sadness, longing for happiness. He wipe the trickling sweat off his forehead. He clears his throat and listens to people scream with joy at the sight of him. He waves, smiles, waves. Now is the time. He speaks, and with each word the crowd becomes more drawn in. Words are flying out of his mouth now like frightened bats or owls out for their pray. His word owls are out to get the ignorance in the world, they’re out to get the racism. He opens his mouth for some of the most historic words ever said, “I have a dream.”


The author's comments:

I love MLK Jr and am always inspired by his brave and inspirational words. I thought I'd give this tribute to him.