Musician Kurt Cobain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Kurt Cobain said, “I’d rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I’m not.” He’s best known for his remarkable blue eyes and signature scratchy voice. He was loved for his good looks, immense talent, and rebellious ­personality. He’s credited with changing the face of rock music and introducing a new style that would shape the 1990s, and he’s still missed after his tragic suicide. Kurt Cobain was the front man of the Seattle-based band Nirvana, and he is best ­described as my hero.

I believe a hero is anyone who is an influential figure, whether positive or negative, and who has affected one’s life or outlook. A hero need not be a role model, since one doesn’t necessarily have to emulate his or her hero. But inevitably, heroes are needed in the loneliest times.

Nirvana is best known for their second album, “Nevermind,” in 1991, which went platinum ten times in the U.S. alone, along with their 1993 Unplugged performance in New York City for MTV. “Smells Like Teen Spirit” is widely regarded as the best song to come out of the ’90s, and while such success seems appealing to the average dreamer, it was the cause of Cobain’s emotional downward spiral. Humble and shy, he came to regret his rising popularity.

I feel the utmost empathy for Cobain. His music speaks to listeners beyond its melodies and lyrics. There is raw emotion and human feelings we can all connect to, and most important, true passion. As a musician too, I am deeply moved by the power in Nirvana’s songs.

Kurt Cobain was a nomadic teenager, traveling from one family member to the next, with the dream of being a musician from an early age. He joked that he had “suicide genes,” as many deaths in his family were deemed suicides. A victim of a painful stomach condition, Cobain claimed his ­heroin addiction eased the aching that accompanied his illness.

Though he died before I was born, it seems as if our lives are parallel. Like many, we faced serious issues, especially during our teenage years. That, along with my love for grunge and my musical aspiration, creates my connection with Cobain.

Why, you may ask, would my hero be a drug-addicted, suicidal rock star? It all seems fairly romantic and typical of a rebellious teenager. The answer: I admire his creativity and personality, along with other aspects of his character. He was known to be an exaggerator, even a liar at times, and he certainly made mistakes in his life – all reminders that Cobain was, in fact, human. And he dealt with his problems with habits that I aspire never to imitate. I have learned lessons from his mistakes. He was brave enough to put himself in a position where he knew he would be uncomfortable, and I like to think that it was only to show kids like me what not to do. What better way to teach than to scare?

My hero lived a life that was short, violent, and inspirational, like many of his songs. He changed music completely by ending the ’80s hair-metal craze and ­giving birth to grunge-rock. He was raised by tragedy and nurtured by hopelessness. He was a victim of addiction, heartache, depression, and disease. He was also a victim of his own actions. Cobain’s songs are recognized worldwide to this day as the work of a musical genius and a great man.

The Jabroney said...
May 31, 2012 at 7:36 pm:
Dude that article was amazing and you represented the great man Kurt was

Simile :) =P said...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 9:34 am:
I really love your quote in the beginning of the article. I feel the same way too sometimes. Hurt Cobain is the best person for my point of view if he hasn't change about music. Then  it wouldn't be like nothing in this century.

EmmaNemma said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm:
I really liked this. I love Kurt Cobain's music and how he changed rock. When I hear about him it's either about his music or his death but you captured his personality and displayed him as a person.

Jess said...
This was in the January 2009 volume.

adastraabextra This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 8, 2009 at 2:26 am:
omg you don't even know..kurt cobain is MY HERO!!!
i loved this piece, AMAZING work!! :)
<333

hannah=(= said...
Aug. 2, 2009 at 2:19 am:
Kurt Cobain ROCKS.

Leon said...
What's the Date of Print?

ladybug31 said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:59 pm:
oh my gosh, thank you soooo much for writing this. i love kurt cobain and have a sketch that i made of him in my bedroom-it's the first thing that i see in the morning. he was amazing and a great influance on the "grunge" movement and the move away from classic rock. he opened the door for all of the amazing rock and "punk" music that we have today, but most people can get past the drugs and the suicide. it's a tragedy that more people from our generation don't (or can't) appreciate ... (more »)

mrsd123 said...
Extremely well written. Poignant. Writing about the nonexample hero was very original.

tj the tragedy said...
Thank you Teri :) my last name starts with an I., actually.

floyd da barber said...
Kurt was the greatest musical genius of our time. RIP the patron saint of rock n roll!!

*Teri* said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 5:07 am:
Very well written.