Mom, My Hero | Teen Ink

Mom, My Hero

By Luke Loding BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois
Luke Loding BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois

“How was your day mom?’ I ask in curiousity.

“My day was peachy, just peachy,” she responds.

This is one of my moms famous quotes after work and basically after most events that happen. Although stuff don’t always go my moms way, she does the best she can to make stuff happen. My mom is a very strong, determined, skillful, trusting, and talented person. She has had many obstacles throughout her life and she has overcome almost all of them. She helps me no matter what and is there for me through thick and thin whenever I need it.

My mom did not have the best childhood ever, but she fought through it and this is why she is a very strong person. When she was growing up her dad was an alcoholic. This was not the best because when her dad was drunk he would always get in fights with her mom and it caused a lot of problems. Not to mention they lived in a small apartment with her two older sisters as well. When fights would break out in the house, my mom would do her best to try to calm the situation down the best she could or she would just leave and go to the park where her friends were most of the time. Her mom was also not the best. My grandma did not help my mom very often, she would yell at my mom to go get a job when she was 13. In addition, when my grandpa was in the hospital, she was yelling at him as well to find a job. Therefore my mom supported herself by working all the time. She also had to put herself through college. Although my mom had it rough growing up, I think it made her realize or gave her the knowledge of how to support herself and how to be on her own which made her a better and stronger person because of this situation.

When my mom was about 19, she got married to her first husband to get away from her parents. I do not know all the details, but it did not work out so she ended up with her first divorce. Then a couple years later she met my dad. I am very thankful for this, but after 20 years she ended up with her second divorce. Once this happened it made stuff very difficult for her as a mother, and for us as a family. She is a single mom with three kids that are very hard to raise. She works every day, and tries her best to get my sister, my brother, and I to practices, friends houses, games, and anywhere else we want to go. Also she tries to make it better, and easier for herself financially by going back to school to get her masters degree, and by working very hard everyday. She also tries to win the lottery almost every week or whenever there is a powerball or something. Although nothing has happened yet, she tries and tries and is hoping something will happen. She also works very hard because she is very determined to give my siblings, and I a better life than she had. She wants to put all three of us through the college of our choice and to have a family. My mom is very determined, she works very hard, and hopefully all of it will pay off.

Although my mom has it rough, she is very good at what she does everyday. At work, she is very well respected not only by the people she works with, but also the bigger bosses that are above her. Not to mention she does so well that she is the only medical coder in her building. Her boss appreciates her and is very thankful to have her work there. This year her boss gave her a raise and is supporting her through her masters program and state tests she has to take to become a full time supervisor. Also my mom does a very good job getting my siblings, and I where we need to go everyday. In the morning she wakes my brother, and I up to go to early bird at six o’clock in the morning and rushes home to wake up my sister for school. Then she goes to work and sometimes she leaves early to get my sister to practice or pick my brother and I up for an activity. After she does that, she rushes us home, and cooks dinner for about an hour. Then she rushes back to go pick us all up from practice. Finally after we eat she sometimes has homework for her class that she has to do and stays up to around 12 o’clock in the morning. My mom is very busy and she does the best she can to get us all to where we need to go no matter what. She is very talented at work and at home. Also she is our number one fan on the sidelines by being at my sister’s, brother’s, and my sporting events every game. She is also the loudest one on the sidelines.

In conclusion my mom is always there for me no matter what through thick and thin. Even if events are peachy she always tries to make her day better and always has a positive attitude towards them. Everyone I know loves and respects her. People are also there to support us in tough times because of how hard she works and how friendly she is. She is one of the strongest, most determined, and most talented people I have ever met. She is my hero, and always will be my hero.