My Dad, The Fighter | Teen Ink

My Dad, The Fighter

September 8, 2014
By ImFree BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
ImFree BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

    I stare at my homework. I think to myself “I don’t get it.” I sat there frustrated at my confusing Algebra homework. I say ”I'm not gonna do this anymore.”

My dad walks in and sees i'm frustrated.

I said, “I'm trying my best Dad.”  

He replied, “ If you're working hard you would get somewhere, but if you work harder you will achieve your goals.”

         I think of my dad as someone who doesn't give up even after you've thought you lost. Even when its time to hang up the gloves, he keeps fighting. He is the man I look up to because hes determined and hardworking. He never gives up.

 

         Living with three sisters and 2 brothers in Glenview, IL is rough, considering you're the youngest. Life as a young boy was a struggle. His 2 brothers (Phil and Pete) and 3 sisters (Mary Ann, Susan and Nancy) didn't get along very well with my dad. He was the one they picked on because he was the youngest. One time he was hanging out with his brothers at their local park. They played there for awhile. When they got back their neighbor rang their doorbell and started to yell at them because he thought they peeled the bark off his tree. The park was located near his house. My dad answered and he found the neighbor yelling and swearing at them.

 

         His mom then stepped in and explained that they were not the people who hurt your tree.  The neighbor left. My dad fought for people that weren't that nice to him. He fought even though his brothers and sisters pick on him all the time.

 

         Fresh from college, my dad got a job as general manager at Leider Greenhouse in Buffalo Grove. He was proud of his new job. My dad worked everyday and everyday he worked the hardest he possibly could. On one cold Friday night at work, was tasked with EPA reports and multiple orders due in a few days. In addition to that, he had to manage an order of 15,000 bulbs coming in. One day a truck driver didn't come in. My dads boss called him and started to yell at him because they were behind on the order.

 So, my dad called the driver and found out where he was. He found out that he was stuck in traffic because of a storm, and that he was 15 minutes away. In the end, the driver made it to the loading bay. My dad quickly unloaded his truck to get the planters started. He called his boss.

He said “The truck has arrived.”

His boss replied “ Alright, good. Lets get them started. Lets get this order in so we won't be behind.

My dad said “Already on it.”

         My dad handled a situation that could of gotten him fired with determination. He remained calm throughout the whole time because he knew he could get the job done.

 

         Life wasn't as tough, until he became a father. He became a father to 1 boy and 2 girls (Samantha and Amanda). His life got worst when he found out that his one boy (Tim) had Endocarditis. He then worried if his son was gonna make it or not. Even insight of the bad information, my dad had faith and didn't give up. He was by my side everyday. During my sickness, my dad had me baptized. He was nervous that i wasnt gonna make it. My dad was under a lot of pressure at the time with work and worrying about if his new son was gonna live. He was with my mom trying to take care of me in the hospital. My dad managed his stress and prayed and supported me even when other people had no hope.

 

         My dad doesn't give up even through family, work and being a father. He doesnt give up during times of hopelessness. My dad has inspired me to keep fighting although you might of lost. He has showed great determination and trust with me during my lifetime. Anyway,he would stick up for his family over a tree anyday.