My Beginning | Teen Ink

My Beginning

July 15, 2014
By pshyeaitsandrew SILVER, Groton, Connecticut
pshyeaitsandrew SILVER, Groton, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand back up taller than you ever were.


I remember sitting at home watching baseball like I was in the game. I remember going around playing with toy soldiers like there was no reality. I remember sleeping at night like there was no worries in our world. Now, that's all they are. Memories. Reality eventually impacts us all, we're not always helpless children.

See, I was just like everyone else as a child. I wanted to be that kid to be in the MLB, or NBA. Don't get me wrong, of course I still do, but now I see reality. I've grown older to see that life comes at a price, and some of us have to pay that. Now, this story, it's not a story of fantasy, nor adventure. This is a story of life, and it's pursuit. It's about the nightmares that come to life before our very own eyes.

Once I reached my tenth year I realized what life really was, not what I wanted it to be. I realized that if I wanted this world to be my idea of safe, then I'd have to sacrifice myself for it.

See, I truly was never that average child. I've always been that kid to think ahead, or see more clearly than others. I've matured faster, and grown quicker in life. I've seen life through eyes a child should never see. Life has been cut short before my very hands, and has built me stronger than ever.

Now, let me start the real story. The story, my story.

When I grow up I want to be a hero for all to come. I want to prove the Red, White, and Blue to this world. Those stars and stripes shall fly higher and higher. I want to defend the constitution, and abide by our law.

I say these things because I believe that the men and women before have paid the ultimate price of life. They've shed blood at the cost of freedom. I want to share in that brotherhood. The brotherhood of soldiers. I want to recite the creed of Rangers, and live by the seven Army values. Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. I want to live by this code for those that have served before, and those to serve beyond my time. Loyalty, I will forever be loyal to the constitution. Duty, I will always serve under the high command. Respect, I will respect all men who respect me, all others get out of my way. Selfless Service, I will put the welfare of the nation before myself. Honor, I will live up to the Army Values. Integrity, I shall always do things the Army way, the right way. Personal Courage, I will face fear with no mercy.

I want to fight for four reasons. One being for the ones I love, two being for the country I share patriotism for, three being calling of the heroes who died for me, and four being the honor of being a United States Serviceman. See, not too long ago, I saw this quote. It goes, "For Those I love, I will Sacrifice." Ever since I saw that my life changed. I knew I had to fight, not only for me, but for you. All of you.

There are men, great men who have served and died that now give me the drive to fight. Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy of Seal Team One is the man who inspires me every day. His life, and his men's lives. They were all sacrificed for ours. Lt. Murphy was killed June 28, 2005 during Operation Red Wings. A failed counter-insurgent mission. He and his men were under fire, and in the process Lt. Murphy used himself as a decoy by exposing himself to them enemy to get his men out of the area. Lt. Murphy had been killed on sight, and his men did not make it out alive. Yet, for his gallantry, and going above and beyond the call of duty, he earned the Congressional Medal of Honor.

That is the man I want to grow to be. He is very respected, and honored. If I were to ever die, I'd want it to be like him. I'd want to die a hero, so that my son, daughter, and however many children I have will know that their father was a hero. I live for the living. I love my country, I love my family, I love my friends, and I will save it all.

As a wise man once said, Freedom Doesn't Come Free. When I heard that, I knew that I'd be the man to step up and take the duty of life. I shall be an American soldier, and I shall protect my homefront.

Kids in this century think life is too easy. They don’t realize why they can have such amazing lives. It’s because of the men and women of this country who live for the living. It’s good to not realize the reality of this world, but all of our dreams must come to an end sooner or later. Kids of this era have to realize, terrorism, and wars are being waged every day. Our world is becoming colder and more violent.

We’re not growing up like kids were in the 30’s. We can’t sit and play with toy airplanes without hearing one being blown up. So, this is why I want to be a hero. I want kids to have the life that’s fading away. I want the lives of Americans, and all other innocent people alike to have a life that they can enjoy. Just like in the movies, I want people to be able to go to South Africa to have a surfing journey like in Blue Crush 2, or have the amazing chance to take part in the underground dance world and end up with that special girl like in Step Up.

As an American teenager, I want to give back to my country. I want to pay what I owe to the hardworking parents and teenagers overseas and guarding our shores to be repaid. I will be American servicemen. Hooah!


The author's comments:
This piece is something I wrote a year ago, and it truly means a lot to me. This is my entire life, and I hope to inspire others from this.
This piece can also be found on my blog, where I initially posted it.