A Legacy Worth Reading About | Teen Ink

A Legacy Worth Reading About

April 7, 2014
By masonplymire BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
masonplymire BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, so I always live my life to the fullest.” Said Ellen Wilbur, my aunt. Ellen is a very strong independent woman who will NOT just watch her life go by. Ellen has battled breast cancer and was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2006, which is the most challenging thing she has had to overcome yet. She is currently in remission. Ellen is the most brave, independent, appreciative woman I have ever met, and I believe her legacy is worth writing about: living her life to the fullest.

“Ellen wants to participate in life more than watch it go by.” My mom (Ellen’s sister) told me. Now that Ellen has gone through cancer more than once she wants to live like there is no tomorrow. That is the thing that inspires me most about Ellen, her ability to enjoy life. “I live more in the present and less in the future. I try to be in the moment and enjoy the people I am with.” She told me. But besides living her life to the fullest she is extremely selfless. “Any time I have a problem or need help she is the first one I would call” her sister stated. She goes to great lengths to help others in need, for instance, she feeds homeless cats twice a month.

Many people also admire Ellen for her bravery, when I asked my grandmother if seeing Ellen go through everything changed her perspective on life she responded with “I am many years older than Ellen so I can't say it has changed me at all. But I still admire her because of her strength and bravery, once she went through her therapy she came out stronger than ever. Of course I was very proud of her but I don't think it changed me.” Unlike my Grandma, Ellen’s bravery/strength, selflessness, and most of all her ability to live life to its fullest has had a tremendous impact on me. All of her characteristics have inspired me and everyone around her to be a better person. “When someone does something that you admire you try to live up to their standards, to make her proud. You don’t want to disappoint someone you look up to.” Her sister claimed. I would not be the same person I am today, without Ellen’s influence. I look up to her and want to have the same perspective on life that she has.