A Legacy To Be Remembered | Teen Ink

A Legacy To Be Remembered

April 7, 2014
By olivia114 BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
olivia114 BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I don’t want to be world famous but I do want to be important to those I love,” said Carol. Carol is my Nanna. She is one of the most selfless and family oriented people I know. Along with those things she is also very generous. She goes above and beyond to help and care for the people around her. If you need her she will always be there. “She is a very generous person. Nanna more than anyone I know gives selflessly. She really thinks about other people,” my Dad, Matthew said this when describing his mother.

My Nanna would do anything for her family. Family will always be her main priority. I have always known that if I needed her she would be there for me. My Aunt Jill once said, “I think Nanna’s greatest greatest joy in life is her family. It brings her the most amount of pleasure.” She always keeps her family in her mind and in her heart. She will always think about her family’s best interests.

One of the biggest acts of selflessness that my Nanna has ever shown was how she took care of her mother when she was very sick. “She took care of her mother when she was dieing and that’s not easy. Her mom died in their house with them by their side and that was just amazing,” my dad told me. She put her feelings aside to take care of her mother. Taking caring of her mother must have been a very hard thing to do. She put her mothers needs in front of her own. I know that if this ever happened again with another family member she would be there to help in a heartbeat.

“Without the love and respect of my family my life would be empty. Friends can fill a void in my life but can never replace my family,” my Nanna told me when I asked how important family is to her. My Nanna has always been a big part of my life. I know that whenever I need her she will be there for me. There are times when my parents go out of town and she is always more than willing to come stay with me and my brother. She is supportive of everyone in my family no matter what happens. My Nanna has helped me become the person I am today. I look up to her as a big role model in my life. I will continue to follow her example as I grow and mature. I love my Nanna and I know she will always love me.