Actor Jackie Chan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The awesome, do-not-try-this-at-home stunts or the ability to take down six bad guys at once aren’t what makes Jackie Chan my hero. Nor is it because we have the same last name. He is my hero because he is one of very few actors from Hong Kong who have received worldwide recognition.

He is a hard-working supporter of a cleaner environment and better education for children. Never having received a proper education when he was young, he now helps establish schools in poor areas around the world. He also speaks out against animal abuse and supports relief efforts in regions that suffer from natural disasters.

Jackie Chan made a rare promise: he will donate half of his assets to charity when he dies.

Despite his fame and efforts to help others, there’s one thing that makes me respect him more than anyone else: he insists on being a role model for kids – always seen as a good guy, never the antagonist. And he never uses the “f-word.” He doesn’t want to be viewed as two different people, but as an inspiration for children to one day grow up to be great citizens.

Even though the chances of me becoming an actor are minute, if I ever follow that path, in my awards acceptance speech I will say: “It was Jackie Chan who inspired me to become the person I am today. I plan to donate half of my assets to charity when I die too.”

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:07 am:
Nice one! You're my hero!!!

Yareli L. said...
good job,keep it up!

appleboy97 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 10:41 am:
It was ok. Not my favroite on the site but good job.

wanghui138138 said...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm:
Hey, hey. Keep the stuff positive. Even though Jackie has rough spots, like any other person, he also has remarkable talents that should be acknowledged. He is an interesting person. Gary, great job.

Ramna said...
Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:07 am:
I'm sorry to say that I agree with Anna. Have you ever even looked into Jackie Chan's life? Wow. Some hero, dude.

TRUE replied...
Sept. 10, 2012 at 5:38 am :
ThATS NOT TRUE SHE KNOWS HIM

anna said...
Are you from this planet? That guy does anything to get his mug in the papers, cheats on his wife, drives a big mercedes (is it bio-fuel? I doubt it!), and DOES swear in his movies (I don't know what you've been watching). Role Model indeed! Wake up, sweetheart, time to smell the real world!