She's My Hero | Teen Ink

She's My Hero

February 23, 2014
By gymnastC BRONZE, Chattanooga, Tennessee
gymnastC BRONZE, Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
~Mary Anne Radmacher


I don't remember the actual year of this writing assignment, but I do remember the topic. My teacher asked the class to write an essay on someone that changed our life- a hero. All of my friends picked and chose celebrities as their heroes. Me? I chose to write about my sister. She is the only real hero I have ever had the joy of knowing, and loving.

When writing that essay, the hardest part wasn't picking my hero, it was the description section. WHY is my sister my hero? But even more importantly, WHAT is a hero? To me, a hero is someone who challenges you, who makes you question your decisions and helps you make the hard ones. A hero is someone who congratulates you when you accomplish a goal, but also pushes you and makes sure that you know your flaws. They are the ones who create our goals in life.

Think about it this way. If we didn't have flaws, and someone to point them out, then why would we need goals? Why would we need a reason to better ourselves? This is what a hero is. My sister has challenged me in ways that no one else ever has. She's not afraid to stand up to me, and if she never made me angry or frustrated, then I would never be where I am today. Because of her, I've stuck with 12 years of gymnastics; I have near perfect grades. I've gotten awards for my seventh grade ACT score. I've been to the Bela Karolyi Olympic Gymnastics Center in Texas, and I'm only 14. I hope that in the years to come, my sister will push me to be the best that I can be. I know it's going to be tough, but that's life. There's always going to be a challenge. My sister is a hero to me in every way, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so. I know that she will do amazing things in her lifetime, no matter what anyone else does or says to bring her down.

I love you! YOU'RE MY HERO.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I love my sister more than anything, and I want her to know that as well as everyone that will listen. I want people to read this and think of the heroes in their life, or maybe even realize that they are a hero in somebody else's. :)