Grandmother: Mara S. | Teen Ink

Grandmother: Mara S. MAG

By Anonymous

Some people see a hero as someone they look up to. Some people think a hero is someone who achieves his or her goals and dreams. To me, a hero is someone who overcomes many of life’s obstacles, who is ­determined and never gives up, even in the hardest of times. A hero is someone who works hard to succeed, who faces difficulties alone and becomes a successful person.

My hero is my grandmother. Her life was not always easy. World War II started when she was little. My grandma lived during the ­Holocaust.

Her father died when she was five years old, and she lived in the ghetto with her mother and brother. She survived on bread crumbs and apple skins, eating anything she could find, sometimes even picking up discarded food.

She faced hunger, thirst, illness, and freezing temperatures. Although times were extremely difficult, my grandma never lost hope. She was determined to make it through the hard times and stay alive. She never gave up, overcoming every struggle and obstacle in her life one by one.

My grandma has influenced me greatly. She has taught me that I need to work hard in order to succeed. She has helped me understand that I can do anything I set my mind to, as long as I never give up, even when something seems difficult or impossible.

My grandmother has made me a determined and hardworking person. She has inspired me to chase my dreams, no matter what. For that, she is my hero.