Members of the U.S. Armed Forces: Veterans This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The best way to honor our veterans is not with speeches, parades, or flag-waving. Though these are wonderful, thoughtful, and inspiring, I can’t think of a better way than simply to thank them. I often wonder what our soldiers must go through when they make the choice to leave family and friends to put on their uniforms and become members of the United States Armed Forces.
As citizens of the United States, we have been bestowed freedom, justice, and opportunities thanks to the deeds, commitments, and spilled blood of Americans who came before us. The deal is simple: with freedom comes obligation, and with liberty comes duty. Brave men and women serve our country with courage so that we remain a free nation.
I feel an obligation to our veterans and current Armed Forces to recognize their sacrifice. People choose to join the United States military because they value liberty so highly that they willingly undergo hardships and sacrifices, potentially losing life or limb to defend our country for the sake of freedom.
In Lee Greenwood’s famous song “God Bless the USA,” he sings, “I’m proud to be an American,” and I am proud too. American veterans’ sacrifices for our country have earned them my lasting gratitude.
Today I am proud to make the choice to say “thank you” to our veterans. My thanks seems very small in comparison to the gift of freedom to live in this great nation. But I can’t think of a better way to honor yesterday’s, today’s, and ­tomorrow’s American veterans.

Rebecka said...
Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:20 am:
That was great! I really loved it and totally agree with you.

cb1 said...
GREAT! ARTICLE :)

gunnerswife said...
Nov. 23, 2008 at 4:02 am:
i loved this article! i'm 18 and the pregnant wife of a deployed Marine, who wont be home til after his daughter is 2 months old.. your appreciation made me smile... the military really doesnt get enough credit for all they do, and are often overlooked. thanks for showing your patriotism!