The Apple Falls Far This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“You look just like your mom.” Yes I get this more and more often as I get older, but I don’t mind because my mom is beautiful. However, the only similarities between me and my mom are skin deep especially when it comes to our high school experiences.

My mom was your stereotypical party animal in high school. She loved to ‘chill with her peeps’ and grades were never a concern. I, on the other hand, spend my Friday nights with my head in a textbook and my thoughts lost in the anatomy of a frog, and Latin derivatives. Most would call that a social pariah, but I prefer the term over achiever.

When my mom was in high school, her schedule revolved around softball. In contrast, soccer is what my world revolves around. Yes they both involve balls. That is the only possible similarity between the two sports (unless you count wearing uniforms).

Not only that, my mom went on dates with guys. That in itself is something completely different to my life. I’d rather spend my weekends doing homework and hanging out with my ten cats. I guess you could say that if I had a choice, I would rather fall into chocolate than into love.

If you compare me and my mom’s high school photos, we’ll look like sisters. While a picture may be worth a thousand words, our different personalities cannot be seen. I guess the apple does fall far from the tree.