Edgar Allan Poe | Teen Ink

Edgar Allan Poe

By Giggles15 PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas
Giggles15 PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

"Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't let the Dead Bite" (Hollywood Undead) and "Ah, Gravity, thou' art a heartless b***h" (Sheldon says on big bang theory)

My hero is Edgar Allan Poe.

Edgar Allan Poe lived a hard life. He was believed to have an allergy to alcohol, so to ease his mind he'd drink heavily. Having such horrible financial problems though out life, he resorted to gambling to get any money he needed.
His poems and stories revolved around death, mostly of a young woman, and this was because Poe had experienced so much tragedy due to loved ones dying at a young age. The main one, was the death of his own mother. She died at the age of 24 while Poe himself was nearly 3 years old.

The rumor of Poe being high through the last few years of his life were all due to a misunderstanding of a time (around a year or so before and until his death) where he suffered from hallucinations and was said to be "mad." An in-depth study has explained that Edgar Allan Poe may have had Rabies, which caused his unstable state of mind.

So with all of these problems in life, Poe was still able to write some of the most phenomenal literary master pieces in history. For example his story: The Masque of the Red Death. This story at first seems to be about a spreading disease but deep down it is really about the horrifying thought of waking up from a dream.

"Everything we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."

This is actually how i see life to be as is nothing more than an illusion or dream that one day we can't seem to wake up from.

So I relate well with the work of my hero: Edgar Allan Poe. I know he is a weird person to have as a hero but once you actually learn about his life you can not begin to realize and understand what amazing this he did during his hard life.