Parental Heroes | Teen Ink

Parental Heroes

March 21, 2013
By jonvest BRONZE, Germantown, Tennessee
jonvest BRONZE, Germantown, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up, I have always idolized comic book-type heroes and legends—stories told by ancient writers who painted pictures of a normal kid growing up in the clutches of an evil city and overcoming those evils by discovering superpowers within himself and pushing himself to the limits of bravery and strength. I used to believe that my childhood heroes really existed—at an early age I longed to scale walls like Spiderman, fly across a crisp night sky like Superman, and even drive stellar vehicles like Batman. While initially I idolized these fictional giants, I soon realized that the true heroes in life are and will always be parents.

My parents are clearly my heroes because of the essentials—they care for my physical wellbeing. For almost fourteen years, they have been central in providing aid for my diabetes—often times waking up multiple times in the night to attend to my sometimes rollercoaster-like blood sugar. Most importantly, my parents have shown me through the care of my diabetes that even the most daunting tasks can be accomplished. They helped me transform myself from a needle-shy three year old to a responsible and determined young man.

Not only have my parents been essential in my health, but they have also shown me the value of giving my life to God. They have proven to me not only by their words and sometimes endless lectures but also by the way they live their lives that having a God-filled life is the only life worth living. They have shown me on a daily basis that service to others and to God is the most important thing in life—they have personified the statement “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Maybe they cannot scale a wall like Spiderman. Perhaps they can’t fly faster than a speeding bullet like Superman. Perhaps my family doesn’t own a sleek black Lamborghini Murcielago like Batman. My parents may not be the typical comic-book type hero, but they are very super to me.