It's a Beautiful World | Teen Ink

It's a Beautiful World

March 1, 2013
By Andrea13 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Andrea13 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

“Hey daddy, you there? I miss you.” Life without a father is a constant struggle that my siblings and I have to go through. Especially when I look in the mirror all I see is my father. My father was always one to be calm yet, strong minded and determined. Tall, brown hair, hazel eyes, light skin and he was definitely not someone you would ask for fashion advice because he always wearing jeans, T-shirt, and sneakers; all different logos. To me he was my superman considering what he overcame to give my family a better life.

When you would ask my father about how he crossed the border, from México to here, and how hard it was to get his citizenship, he described it as being uncomplicated. My father had told me the story of when he came to America; however I was too young to understand. Nevertheless I do remember the process in which my father went through to get his citizenship. I remember whenever we had a long trip ahead of us, like going to Chicago, my dad would listen to his tapes he would use to study (these were questions about the history of the united states) I remember how as a family when the questions went on we would answer them together since that was material I had already learned in school. Those were the moments that you don’t take for granted and you simply appreciate. I remember the day that my father had to go and take the test all the way up in Chicago; of course I had to go to school. Looking back I recall not being able to concentrate since I was so excited to know how it went. Those thoughts consisted of questions that I thought they would ask him, which he would answer. Questions like: “Who was the first president of the united states?”, and my father responding in an accent, “George Washington.” When I got home from school that day my parents were there waiting for us, and right away I asked how it went; “Yes” he said. I knew he could do it and he did. My father truly did deserve it. Thanks to my father he was able to overcome these obstacles and give my family the life that truly is worth living.

In life you are always supposed to respect your parents, its common sense. Still I had the uttermost respect for him because my father was the type of person who was just so calm, yet strong minded, and determined. I however was not the only one to respect him; everyone around him just appreciated him so much. Whenever someone talked about my father no one ever had something rude to say about him it was only positive thoughts. Many individuals always said that my father had the words of wisdom, he also only had genuine advice to give, and it was never cynical. That’s why my father was my role model, he was who I wanted to become. Determined. Of course with all that respect I had for my father it came with expectations that me, as his daughter had to meet. He always told me “Andrea, you have to go to college, and it’s not a choice.” I remember how since I was very little I have been told that, and it has not changed, my mother continues that tradition today. This expectation that my father had for my siblings and I were simply just part of what he thought would be part of the “American dream” he seeked. I always would think back to those conversations we had and how he would be like: “I don’t care what career you get, as long as that is what makes you happy and become the best at what you do.” That just made me want to try harder and harder every day. It’s difficult for me since I was never that “straight A” student, however it does not mean I don’t try. On the contrary it makes me want to give that extra effort even more. Get better grades; be respectful to my peers, and most importantly to my mother. To this day I continue with that goal, and I will not stop until I have achieved my father’s goal to get educated.

To finalize my thoughts on my father all in all I love my daddy. Thanks to my father I am who I am, strong-minded, and full of more grit imaginable. He overcame obstacles that I know I shall never have to face and, expectations that I shall have to meet. I am aware that this will be a long process but, with my determination it’s possible. To conclude I just am so thankful for all my father has done for my family and, all the love he was able to convey, unconditional. Thank you.


The author's comments:
This is a piece i wrote about my father who inspires me. he passed away a couple of years ago but contines to inspire me everyday.