My Mom, the Hero | Teen Ink

My Mom, the Hero

By Leah-chan SILVER, Everson, Washington
Leah-chan SILVER, Everson, Washington

“Would I ever find forever love? Do I really want to, when forever was a word without meaning?”

About a month ago, on January 16th, at 9:35 PM, my mother died. She was not only my hero but hundreds of other peoples heroes too. My mom taught at several different schools for up to 39 years. She had one day left till winter break and she'd have been teaching for 40 full years. But that day, she was rushed to the hospital. The cancer had gotten worse and she was now paralysed from the waist down. That was in November, a week before Thanksgiving. As time went by, half of her face became paralyzed, she stopped eating, and drinking. Eventually we had to give her water with a sponge. The last few days of her life she was stuck in a coma. I was amazed by how many people came to visit! A man in his thirties with two kids and a wife came and visited her one day, he was a former student of hers. I wasn't there when my mom died, I had just gotten home when I got the call. I was utterly heartbroken. Now, it's hard to concentrate on anything besides thinking about how she's really gone. My mom was a hero, everyone who met her instantly loved her and she loved them back. I love my mom so much and I really really miss her but it's nice to know she died as a hero. My hero.