Allison D, | Teen Ink

Allison D, MAG

There are many ways to promote peace. There is world peace, which is definitely important. But the only way to obtain this is to find inner peace first.

It is almost impossible to find inner peace without the help of a friend. I think of the peacemaker in my life as my conscience, or my little "Jiminy Cricket." Sometimes my life feels so difficult and chaotic that I just don't feel I have the strength to do what I need to do. I just don't know what to do next. My sister Allison is the peacemaker in my life. I know she may not try to be a peacemaker all the time. We're not the Brady Bunch and we do fight.

Allison is my only sister, born exactly two years, eight months and twenty-one days after me. I will admit that when she was born I said I wished they had left her in the tree. But now, I am glad they didn't.

I don't know of many sisters who really cry when they hear their older sister has to get her baby tooth pulled. (I'm not kidding - she cried more than me!) Or, how about the time I broke my ankle in gymnastics? She was hysterical until I got home and then waited on me hand and foot.

I have never heard of a sister like Allison. Before she goes to bed each night, she always tells me how much she loves me. This reminds me that I am loved, no matter how bad my day at school was. No matter how much stress builds up in my life, no matter how many people hate me, or I hate, I know Allison will always love me. She knows how much I love her back. Whenever we fight, she immediately begs my forgiveness, no matter who was the instigator. If that doesn't encourage peace, what does?

When we were little, we had a little dungeon in our basement. It wasn't really a dungeon, but a small closet where we hung pictures and put pieces of carpeting - to us it was a secret clubhouse. She never complained when I declared myself president or made all the rules. She didn't care when I made her practice the club motto until she finally got it right (which was pretty tough for a three-year-old!) We called ourselves the "Best Buddies." We would have Best Buddy Club meetings and sleepovers, and we even declared April 3rd our Best Buddy Day. When Al and I played house, I wanted a pet so badly. Since I was allergic to fur, I couldn't have one. Alie got on the floor and acted as my little dog. I will never forget that.

Those were the good days, when everything seemed simple, and our games and quarrels were innocent. Now, although many times she does it indirectly, Allison has become a peacemaker in my life. No matter what, I know she is always there for me, smiling and ready to help in any way she can. She has helped me face the cold, hard world. Allison has helped me to find inner peace, and that is why she is a hero - most definitely the cutest peacemaker there is.