My "Real" Father by S. H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My hero is my father, C. M.. I admire him and look up to him becausehe is the only male in my household. He is my sister's father, buthe's been around since I was young. He was there when I had my firstChristmas, my first birthday, when I lost my first tooth and even formy first girlfriend. I admire him because most men wouldn't havegotten involved with a woman who already had a child. Or if they didget, they'd neglect the child. As for me, I am lucky I have a fatherwho cares for me.

My father tries to tell me the right things to do, and is right, eventhough I sometimes don't listen. Because he's been in my life for solong, there's never been a problem with us saying we're not fatherand son. As for the other person who's supposed to be my"real" father, I try to stay away from him because in my 17years of my life, I have talked to him only three times, which showshe doesn't care. He's never sent me a birthday card or written, so Iignore him and pay attention to my real dad, C. M.