The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier: A Place Where Heroes Rest | Teen Ink

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier: A Place Where Heroes Rest

By Jen4275 BRONZE, Inverness, Illinois
Jen4275 BRONZE, Inverness, Illinois

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a symbolic resting place for all the unidentified American soldiers who have fallen at battle while defending the ideals and interests of the United States. It is located in the Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. The monument represents the selfless sacrifice, honor, integrity, and endless devotion a soldier in war must exemplify. Both men and women have fought for this nation, risking their lives to ensure freedom for the American public. Their bravery and character must not be forgotten, especially of those whose remains have been left nameless or have not been found. The tomb is guarded twenty-four hours, seven days a week to honor and respect these heroes, as well as to signify the never-ending remembrance for these men and women.

Many of my relatives have served the United States in either the Army or the Marines. They have fought in the Vietnam War as well as the Korean War. While witnessing their every-day character, I can see the camaraderie and the everlasting sense of brotherhood that they developed while serving. At each family gathering, a chorus of the Marines hymn is sung by my relatives, followed by a time for reminiscing and sharing stories.

Service men and women will never forget their experiences from war in the same way that we should never disregard their great courage or life sacrificed. A soldier’s duties extend beyond the battlefield into each individual’s community, creating a safer country where each citizen can enjoy his or her afforded rights. The tomb is not only a symbol for lost lives, but a reminder of surviving passion. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is the ultimate symbol of American patriotism because it pays tribute to the most honorable men and women of our country.