Grandfather, David Schein | Teen Ink

Grandfather, David Schein MAG

By Anonymous

   "Ourlife is frittered away by detail."

- Henry DavidThoreau





Our life is frittered away by detail. So often,and so sadly, we forget the meaning of life. Or, maybe, some go through lifenever knowing what it is. Some say that the reason for living is to enjoy life -to make the most of our time, and just have fun. Others say that we should try todo something with our lives - something that will cure diseases, solve problemsand save the world.

On a personal note, though, I believe that we all insome way live to love. I realized when my grandpa passed away how precious andshort and special life is. I also realized that all there really is for you to do- that the best that you could ever do - is love.

It is almost impossiblenot to get caught up in a daily routine, but it is important to remember to takethe scenic route whenever possible. My grandpa loved art, music, theatre andliterature. He traveled. He lived. He was not concerned with the details of life,with money, new furniture or fancy cars. He had fun, and because he had thatattitude, he was successful. Not only was he successful, he was happy. And that,in the end, is all that really matters.

My grandpa loved his wife, hischildren, and his grandchildren. He loved his closest friends. He loved theplaces he went, and the memories of his youth. He loved exotic foods; he loved tomake his grandchildren taste foods they couldn't even pronounce. These loves,combined, created him. I miss being around his love for such things, for suchliveliness, and such color. I miss him, very much.

In the end, the detailswon't matter. Mortgages and stocks and designer clothes and jewelry won't matter.

Memories will matter. Family will matter. Friends will matter. And love,I believe, will matter most of all.