My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

Most people’s heroes are mainly super heroes or celebrities and famous people, but not mine. My hero is someone closer to my heart, someone who I can go to for anything, my brother Matthew.

The reason why he is my hero is because he always has a smile on his face and he’s always been able to keep strong even when the worst has happened. Through the death of my parents my brother has always known how to get by every day with a smile on his face and how to keep me smiling.

When my sisters went into adoptive care, it was then me, my brother and my dad living by ourselves; even then Matthew could always keep me away from pain.

When I was 3 years old doctors had found a tumour on my chest and they thought it was cancerous, but luckily it wasn’t, but the bad thing is I was also only 3 when my mum died, I was too young to understand but however my brother was 7. Matthew then had to live with only the memories he had of her and now without her. Then when I was 12 years old and Matthew was 16, my dad then passed away. I already thought Matthew was strong and could face anything in the world but I did not expect this to happen, now he is as strong as ever and there has not been one time I haven’t seen him sad or unhappy.

The biggest event he supported me in, was when my dad died at the age of just 39, a week after his birthday, I thought my life was already bad with not growing up without a mother, but losing a second parent is one of the hardest things in your life, the man who brought you up and raised you was just took away in seconds, but luckily for me I have Matthew, he supported me in the worst situation and taught me that life does throw horrible things at you but you just have to live life the fullest, with them in your memories.

Now I am 14 years old and I would like to say, my brother has inspired me for the better, every time I’m with him, we’re always laughing and joking around, I live with my grandparents and Matthew is living in his own flat with his fianceé, I couldn’t ask for a better brother, he’s made me who I am today, with or without my parents I will always look up to him, for he is my hero.

this inspired me to write this ebcause i feel he is my hero