My Greatest Inspiration | Teen Ink

My Greatest Inspiration

By DeHaan32 BRONZE, Grand Blanc, Michigan
DeHaan32 BRONZE, Grand Blanc, Michigan

Someone that is very important to me is Arlene, my grandmother. There are
several reasons that my grandmother is so important to me. For example, she always does things
out of the kindness in her heart. She does anything for anyone and for no personal gain
whatsoever. She would rather do something to help another person be happy, than do something
to make herself happy, which is amazing in the eyes of everyone around her. Even when she is
struggling with things in her own life, she is all about making those around her feel better about
their lives and asks nothing in return.

Another thing about my grandmother that is amazing is her ability to keep her head held
high no matter how negative the circumstances are. For example, my grandmother was
diagnosed with breast cancer this past year, but she did not let her spirits drop. Instead of moping
or feeling sorry for herself, she immediately told herself and everyone else that she was going to
get over this obstacle, no matter how difficult the journey was going to be. Of course, my
grandmother was quite scared when she found out about this tragic news, but that did nothing to
slow her down. Even through the roughest treatments, she takes the time to make sure that
everything is going well with her family and friends. It does not matter how bad she is feeling or
how difficult this process is, she still takes her time to make sure that everyone else is doing well.
Such courage is rare in the world today and I am glad to say that my grandmother is one of the
few that show such courage.

My grandmother’s courage has inspired me to change my ways. In the past, I have had a
lot of trouble dealing with stress and reacted negatively to even the smallest things. But ever
since my grandmother showed such courage, I could never let my head drop again. My
grandmother has inspired me not only to keep my head held high through difficult times, but also
the importance of the people that surround me. She once told me that the people that surround
me are the ones who are the most important, not yourself. My grandmother’s lessons and
courage have truly inspired me to become a better person. In the future, I hope to follow in her
footsteps and inspire the people in my life to do the same thing that my grandmother has done for
the people in her life.

I wrote this piece as my essay to get into my high school chapter of the National Honor Society. The question asked us to explain our greatest inspiration or to explain something that has had the greatest impact on my character within my high school career. I chose this example because it truly made me appreciate the little things in life a lot more than I did before what happened to my grandmother.