Musician Tim Armstrong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Myhero is Tim Armstrong, the guitarist and lead vocalist of the ska-punk bandRancid. He has been in Rancid for ten years; before that he was in Operation Ivyfor five.

Tim is my hero for many reasons. First, he is very courageous.In 1984 Tim and his friends started a punk scene in Berkeley, California at aplace called Gillman Street. At that time it was not socially acceptable to be apunk or to play the kind of music he played, but he was not concerned with whatanyone else thought, only with making great music on his own terms.

Tim isalso one of the hardest-working people in the punk scene. He started his ownrecord label, Hell Cat Records, and is constantly giving other bands the exposurethey need to be successful. He is also working hard with Rancid, while helpinghis wife's band, the Distillers.

Tim is very inspirational. When hestarted Rancid he was homeless and addicted to drugs. He decided to turn his lifearound into something positive. Moreover, Tim is involved in theSka-Against-Racism organization, which promotes ethnic and religious equality inthe punk community.

Tim Armstrong is a good person, musician and rolemodel. He has inspired me to make something positive of myself through my ownmusic. I think Tim deserves to be credited for being a great person. He's myhero.