My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

December 11, 2012
By AntonS. BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
AntonS. BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
.


Some people don’t have a very good relationship with their Dad. Thank God that I do. My Dad is one of the nicest, smartest, most well-rounded people I know. He always knows the right thing to do in a tight situation and he always makes time to be with his family. Whether that means going to work at 6:30 A.M. or taking a day off, my Dad is always there for me to spend time with me and my family.

Being the great person that he is, my Dad has a lot of good values that I admire. He always stands up for what’s right, whether that be to his boss at work or to me at home. He doesn’t care if other people don’t support him, he’ll do what he has to do to get his work done to the best of his ability. When he gets home from work, he doesn’t just grab a snack and drop down on the couch and watch television. He checks on me to make sure I’m okay and don’t need help with any algebra homework. No matter where he is, he always sets a great example for adults and kids alike by not cussing in public and acting like a mature adult. He doesn’t get angry (most of the time) and he is a friendly gentleman to be around.

My Dad has one of the most unique personalities that I wish I had. He is funny and knows the time and place to crack a joke that has everyone laughing. Other than that, he is smart and has a wide range of knowledge on a lot of things from skiing to cultures making him a very well-rounded person. He is very adventurous, having climbed to the base camp (18,000 feet) of Mt. Everest in Nepal. He also owns a 28.5 foot Hunter sailboat which he takes out with my Mom and I every weekend. On the flip side, he can be serious and is respectful to the people and things around him and is always courteous of others. He also has fought many tough battles such as quitting smoking, dealing and dealing with his Mother and Father dying. More recently, he is still fighting his battle with stage three liver cancer.

You don’t have to be anywhere special to have a great time hanging around with my Dad. No matter where you are; at home, in the car or even in the bathroom, my Dad is great to be around. He is daring, and even though he hates rollercoasters and is scared of heights, he goes on them anyway just to be with his family. He also knows all of the fun places to go so that the whole family is having a fantastic time. Whether that be planning a trip to his hometown Beirut, Lebanon or just a drive to grab a quick burger at Five Guys in Viera, he always knows what to do and where to go.

In the end, my Dad is a strong, smart, and funny person to be around. He has knowledge about a lot of things in this world and always takes care of his family first. He has great beliefs and values and I know that everyone around him respects him as much if not more than I do. If my Dad ever did anything wrong, he made up for it and fixed it to make it better because he strives to be the best person he can be. I hope to be the best person I can be, but I know either way, I’ll always look up to my Dad.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because my Dad is my hero and he was diagnosed with stage three liver cancer which inspired me even more to persevere and be strong.