Rosemary M., Mother | Teen Ink

Rosemary M., Mother MAG

By Anonymous

   WhenI was younger, cartoon characters like the Care Bears were my heroes. My mom wasbusy cooking and cleaning, and never once did I imagine she would become my hero.My mom and I have grown very close, and spend lots of time together.

Oneday, we had a serious talk, telling each other how we felt about our lives. Then,the conversation got even deeper. My mom began telling me sad stories of her pastand spoke of losing her own mother when she was only four years old. She told mehow she was physically and mentally abused by her stepmother, and all the while,my grandfather did nothing to stop it. For some reason, maybe because he wasalways drinking, he never had the courage to stand up for his daughter. Shedescribed days when she went hungry and days when she was forced to eat beyondher abilities. She talked about cold nights outside and long days watching herbrothers and sisters.

How could she have endured all this? Why did she nottry to escape? Well, she did. At age 15, a marriage was arranged to get her outof the home where she never belonged. Then she belonged to a strange man she didnot know. Somehow, she made it work and her life was happy. She had children wholoved her, and a husband who cared.

When my parents' marriage becamerocky, I was only two years old. Although her marriage was over, my mom looked onthe bright side and realized that she still had her children. We are her support,even to this day.

Now when I see my mom in a happy mood, I know she is notreally as happy as she seems. I can sense that emptiness of not having a motherand the pain of abuse. This makes me wonder how a woman who has gone through somuch can still be there for the ones she loves. How can she still manage to behappy and look to better days? Now I know. She can't be human. She has to havesuper strength and power. My mom must be a super hero! She must be my hero.