Friend Sara | Teen Ink

Friend Sara MAG

As a freshman, my life began spiraling downward. I grew distant from my friends and family, and worst of all, from myself. The person I saw in the mirror every day was a stranger who had taken over my life and exposed me to things someone my age should not encounter. The only way to ease my pain seemed to be suicide, the worst sin of all.

My pain began at 14 when my best friend’s boyfriend forced me to perform a sexual act on him. I pressed charges but withdrew the major one, so he was only charged with corruption of a minor and did not have to go to prison. Still, my friend was furious, and I not only fought with her, but my parents, too. There was a cloud of tension between us and I felt very alone. I wanted to disappear. When someone talked to me, I put on a happy-go-lucky persona, but really I was miserable.

I began to look for solutions to my troubles. At night, I stayed awake looking for anything sharp in my room with which to cut myself. The pain caused by the cutting seemed to release the pain of the worries in my mind. I had lost control but thankfully, in September, my life took a turn for the better.

That fall, a girl named Sara moved near me and we became friends. Her friendship saved my life. I think of her as my guardian angel. She taught me to stand up for myself against abusive people and to have fun and not get in trouble. Most important, she showed me who I really am and that I shouldn’t worry what others think.

Before I met Sara I had no idea what I was going to do after high school, but she helped me realize that my dream is to become a counselor. Her words of wisdom inspired me to be the best I can be and never give up. Once I realized that dream, I knew nothing could stand in my way. My life goal is to guide teens who are having a hard time like I did and stop them from doing the unthinkable. I want to make their lives easier as Sara did for me.

I cannot undo my past and its mistakes, but I am willing to work hard to make my dream of being a counselor come true. I owe my life to Sara, and so I dedicate my choice of profession to her, my guardian angel.

KeLi said...
I like the fact that you atleast had the courage to share your story with someone like Sara, if not you'll probably still be at squre one at this point... remain p0s!tiv3