My Sister, Jessica L. | Teen Ink

My Sister, Jessica L. MAG

I have many siblings, and we’re all pretty close, not so much in age, but in our relationships. So when my sister Jessica decided to travel to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates to help women there, you cannot imagine how that altered our lives. She is my role model for what she planned to do.

Since I was little I have always wanted to be just like her. Jessica is the most pleasant and well-rounded person I know. She is always there for my family when they need help and is the only one I really feel comfortable talking with. She gives me great advice when I have a problem or dilemma.

Jessica has compassion for others. Now she shows this daily when she leaves her apartment in Abu Dhabi, where she lives alone, and takes a taxi to her job at a college where she helps young women who are being treated like second-class citizens. Her mission is to help them find jobs and careers. I can’t imagine the courage and strength it takes to do that so far from home. Jessica is my role model for showing so much fortitude.

Before my sister left on her adventure, she was very nervous about what she would find, and so was I. I knew she would end up loving it, but I also knew that if she liked it, she would stay for three years. Also, the only time that she would come home was in the summer for three short weeks. Calling her would be difficult and expensive. Learning about these obstacles, I worried we would get disconnected. But I knew this would be a great change for everyone. She is my role model for just being who she is.

The day she left was the hardest good-bye I have ever experienced. I tried to hold back my tears, but looking at her face, I had never seen anyone so happy in my life! I didn’t understand - I wouldn’t see her for a year and yet she couldn’t wait to leave. Seeing her face helped me say good-bye, but it was still really hard. She is my role model for her courage and strength.

Now it’s a few months later, and I’ve gotten used to her being so far away. I e-mail her frequently. It is good to have such a positive role model in my life.

Yoela PLATINUM said...
Yoela PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

"My powers stretch over the horizon and work even when my eyes are closed"

I hope that someday my little sister will look up to me like that!!

the_Horsegirl SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota

People need dreams, there's as much nourishment in 'em as food.
--Dorothy Gilman

If there is such a thing as truth, it is as intricate and hidden as a crown of feathers.
--Isaac Bashevis Singer

That must have been really hard for you, you put a lot of feeling into this. Your sister must be really brave! Very good piece, keep writing!!!