Cancer Blogger, Miles Levin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I had never heard of Miles Levin until the day he died. He instantly touched my heart and mind, and has become an inspiration and a true hero.

At the age of 16, Miles was diagnosed with alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, a life-threatening cancer that strangles muscle tissues. But he was determined not only to have a say in his own life and death but also to have an impact on the world. So Miles blogged on the Beaumont Hospital website, and resolved to live a purposeful life for however long that would be, and, most importantly, to die with grace.

Through his blog, Miles caught the attention of thousands. Although he was not the first to write about life’s journey and one’s final days, his wisdom and insight at such a young age proved moving and riveting. In the end, he did indeed have an impact; more than 15,000 individuals responded to his blog entries, including parents of dying children and fellow cancer patients, as well as healthy individuals who sought Miles’s wisdom and captivating accounts of living life to the fullest.

In 2006, Miles was presented with the Sarcoma Foundation’s Leadership in Courage Award. He clearly understood that our purpose in the world is to shine upon those around us. On July 4, 2006, a year before his death, in an interview with the Detroit News, Miles stated, “Having a beating heart and operational lungs does not define you. Your effect on the world around you does.” I have found inspiration and hope in his story. Miles died a hero at the age of 18.

ChloeAills said...
Dec. 6, 2009 at 1:46 am:
Wow...That touched my heart. It made me feel really good inside. Your a good person hun, stay that way.

^megan:) replied...
Mar. 4, 2010 at 11:55 am :
i agree this is really good