Three Cups of Tea | Teen Ink

Three Cups of Tea

By Giannotta05 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Giannotta05 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

One thing I’ve always wanted to try is mountain climbing. In the novel Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson, Greg climbs mountains for fun. He is climbing a mountain called K2 in honor of his sister. While climbing the mountain Greg loses track of his team and is now lost in the mountains, at this point he knows it will be tough for him to survive. Greg searches for his team and thinks he finds his team but finds a small town called Korphe in the mountains. Greg gets treated nicely by the the people in Korphe. They are giving Greg treatment they wouldn’t even give themselves because they couldn’t afford it. Greg sees these kids with no school, no money, little food, and little water. He knows he has to do something for them treating him so nicely. So Greg says that he is going to build them a school. The kids get all excited, but the only thing is Greg doesn’t have enough money to afford a school. Greg returns home to find that he has been fired from his job and his girlfriend left him. So it will be a challenge for him to get enough money to build a school. Greg goes back to Korphe to tell them he is going to try his best to build a school, but the people at Korphe tell him that he also needs a bridge built to transfer the material. Greg now realizes he is going to have to make some phone calls for this to even be possible. on Greg’s way home from Korphe he is sitting at an airport where he meets this girl named Tara. Greg and Tara end up getting married after seven days of them first meeting. Greg finally gets the confidence to call Jean Hoerni. Jean thinks what Greg is doing is a great idea and decides to help Greg. Jean told Greg that getting enough money to build a bridge and get the material to build a school will be very hard, but it is possible. The theme of this novel is to never give up, Greg was jobless and lost his girlfriend and still tried his best to get the school for the kids in Korphe.
I think this is a good book the author does a good job of making the book interesting and giving good detail so you have a good image of what’s going on in your head. I’ve always thought mountain climbing would be a cool and interesting thing, and at the beginning of the book Greg makes it seem so much more interesting. Also the author makes it so you can’t put the book down until you finish the chapter, you just want to keep on reading and reading. I would recommend this book to children all ages because it shows to not give up and be thankful for everything because there are always people who have it worse than you.