My Hero vs. a 'Crucible' Villian | Teen Ink

My Hero vs. a 'Crucible' Villian

By KlarissaS GOLD, Ephraim, Utah
KlarissaS GOLD, Ephraim, Utah

“A hero is someone who inspires, motivates, and moves others; courageously, selflessly, and continuously.” (Unknown) A personal hero of mine is my grandma. She is everything this quote describes and more. Abigail Williams is a villain in the crucible. She is a hear-hearted and dissembling person, much unlike my grandmother. There are very few things this villain and my hero have in common, and there are many things that make them different.

It’s not easy to find similarities between my grandma and Abigail; they are two completely opposite characters. But I have heard my grandma tell stories about the group of girlfriends she had in the small town she grew up in. It could have been somewhat like Abigail and the girls in Salem, but my grandma and her friends didn’t do witchcraft!

Another similar thing is that my grandma used to clean houses for people, like Abigail must have as a servant. My grandma helped mainly a few neighbors who could not do it easily themselves. I remember my grandma telling us of one particular lady who asked her to clean just so she could have someone to talk to. I imagine this wasn’t always exactly how my grandma wanted to spend her time, but knowing her, she did it willingly and with a happy heart. This is just one of the reasons why she is a hero in my life.

My grandma is a person of integrity. Unlike Abigail, she would never place blame on someone else. She is honest and trustworthy. I know I could tell my grandma anything and I would be answered with compassion, understanding, and words of wisdom.

That is another quality my grandma possesses-wisdom. She takes on tasks and handles situations wisely and gracefully. She is a great problem solver. Abigail, I think, creates the problems and then pushes them onto someone else. This shows she does not know how to handle difficult things. My grandma, on the other hand, has gone through many extremely hard ordeals, including losing a husband and son. But she has pushed through and come out better, and one of the wisest people I know.

Another strikingly different characteristic is kindness. Abigail definitely does not show kindness to those around her. She uses harsh words and is not patient. But my grandma is one of the most patient and kind people I know. She never raises her voice and does not like to reprimand others. My grandma is always positive and uplifting. My grandma is the kind of person I want to be around, and the kind of person I want to be, while Abigail is not.

Abigail and my grandma are very different. I know for myself that my grandma is a person full of integrity, is patient, kind, and wise. I do not believe Abigail Williams has portrayed these traits in the play thus far, nor will she. My grandma is my hero because of these qualities she possesses. She has inspired, motivated, and moved me, and she continues to today.