Mattie | Teen Ink

Mattie

May 22, 2012
By Brrookkeee SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Brrookkeee SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
~"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
~"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything!"
~"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."


Anybody can act as a role model in a person's life. A teacher, a family member, a stranger, or even a friend. Mattie, one of my best friends, just happens to be my hero. She’s loud, energetic, and so fun. Yet, she knows when enough is enough and when it’s time to be serious. I can count on her for just about anything, and explaining why she’s my hero might help to understand a little bit better.

Mattie is not my hero for the reasons everybody may think. It’s not because she saves lives or anything like that. It is because of all the little things she does for me and teaches me everyday.

One thing I have learned from Mattie is how to do hair. She is a master at everything that has to do with hair. Normal braids, french braids and dutch braids are just one of her many hair talents. Learning how to french and dutch braid was extremely challenging. Mattie didn’t get annoyed or bothered by how long it took me to figure it all out. She was extremely patient with me. This not only taught me how to braid, but also that when you’re facing a challenge, stay calm and cool headed.

Another thing that Mattie’s good at is curling hair. She always has absolutely perfect curls. I still haven’t quite mastered how to curl my hair like she does, but I’m confident I’ll earn someday. I’m also confident that Mattie will successfully teach me the right way to do it.

One day, Mattie had a dance recital, and I decided to go and watch her. I was so fascinated by how good she was at tap. That same night I was trying to tap all around when I was hanging out with Mattie. She refused to continue seeing my bad attempts at tapping. So I borrowed a pair of tap shoes and we worked hard for an hour. She never complained and always got excited when I finally got one of the tap sequences right. I was pretty bad at tapping that night, but for some reason, I woke up the next morning and I could do it perfectly. I got so excited and I told Mattie, “Mattie! I can do it!” She laughed at me because I was getting excited for no reason. Than she said “ Good job Brooke. It only took you forever.”

The final thing my hero, Mattie taught me is how to have a blast. I have always known how to have fun, but Mattie can take fun to the next level. She’s crazy, fun and always looking to make new friends. When I say that, I’m serious. Mattie will walk up to a total stranger and tell them her name and then ask what their name is. Mattie tells me to try is because it’s not like you're ever going to see them again. She can bring out the fun side in anyone, and I admire that so much about her. I got the chance to share a locke with Mattie and it’s been a great experience. Mattie can find something funny to say after almost every hour. That girl always finds a way to brighten my day.

I have learned many different things from Mattie. Many things that I’ll always carry with me for a long time. All together, these smalls things make her a hero to me. No matter how crazy she is or if we ever part someday, I will remember what she’s done for me. Not just as a hero, but as a friend. Mattie is an incredible friend.